Luxman PX-100 turntable (few pictures and questions)

Sam08861

Just acquired this turntable just because I should be able to control this with my logitech harmony remote via my luxman receiver (r115). I'm controlling a luxman CD player this way as well, so I thought what the heck, lets get an all one brand system from the mid 80s going. There's a 4 Pin DIN connection that allows the play/cut and cue up/down functions to be controlled by the remote. As such, I'll be able to turn on the receiver and turntable (plug the turntable into one of the receivers 4 switched outlets so it comes on too) and then play the record with my remote by pressing play and stop it by pressing stop, as well as pause/play by using the cue function. This should be fun and I'll put up a video if it all actually works out.

Lugged this guy as a carry on from Vancouver to NJ. Heres' the unit after a bit of clean up. There a chunk of missing vinyl veneer and a crack in the dust cover, both visible in the shot below. I also had to fashion a paper clip tonearm rest clip. Other than that everything else seems in good shape.

_MG_1273.jpg

Here's the 'guts' of the unit. Such a tiny, tiny motor and a 1/4" pressboard bottom. The motor in my other turntable is about the size of a baseball and weighs what a solid block of metal plates an copper should. Looks like someone's been in here damping things as it's not the most solid looking plinth and no metal substructure. Also, the auto/manual switch/PCB has been removed as can be seen by the two standoffs at the top and the electrical taped set of wires just under the zip tie just below it. Plan to use it in auto anyway with the solid state setup.

_MG_1254.jpg
Here's the bottom cover with plastic feet that articulate somewhat. The bottom panel is very thin. I'm thinking of bonding it to a 1/2" or 3/4" particle board or MDF panel of the same size to give the plinth some mass.

_MG_1255.jpg

The platter has the same material applied, and is deceptively light despite it's tall profile....

_MG_1260.jpg

I decided to put some black plastalina from the local michaels ($3 for 1 lb) into the open slots on top. Weighted each one so they were all 20 grams and pressed them in, so 360 grams added to the platter.
_MG_1258.jpg

Finally, this came with no cartridge, so installed a Shure V15 Type V cart into the removable ADC-1 type head-shell and am awaiting a stylus (and 4 pin male/male DIN cable for the remote) to arrive in the mail and perform the overhang alignment before giving it's first listening test. Found a template for this in the PX-99 owners manual.

All functions work very smoothly and the platter gets up to speed in about the same 1-2 seconds after adding the weight as it did before that (showing by a green 'quartz lock' LED that lights up, and theres another green LED for the repeat function, which also works).

_MG_1262.jpg

From my understanding this is the sister table to the Luxman PD-291. Looking at the service manual, the 291 has an aluminum clad top with a wood veneer base. The other differences are that the PX-100 has the 4 pin DIN for remote control via receiver and the PD-291 does not. This was determined by studying the service manual parts list and schematic. All other electronic components are the exactly same and the only other difference is the PCB part #s and a screw/bushing that's used in the PD-291 that's not used on the PX-100. Circuits themselves are exactly the same. I suspect the PCB part# differences due to not having provisions for the remote control circuit.

I haven't been able to find out much else about this table, other than a few posts stating that the motor is supposed to have very low rumble per an Aussie stereo review article in the 80s, so any information on this guy would be worthwhile.

Questions...

1. Any suggestions on what tweaks might be done to this turntable electronics? Replace electrolytic caps? I did find the service manual, but not the owners manual. Have requested that from Luxman.

2. Will adding mass to the bottom plate be a big help, as it does in the Thorens 160? I've heard this table has . a problem with resonance. Should I be damping the tonearm somehow? Too bad there's no anti-resonance counterweight like Dual has.

3. Any info on which tonearm this might be? I've read it's a micro seiki, but couldn't find a similar item at http://www.micro-seiki.nl/

4. Assuming this is a light tonearm and the Shure V15 is a good match?

5. Any other advice?

Last edited:
Props to Novus 1 cleaner... A 2 minute wipe on, wipe off got the dust cover looking good... Turntable looks good, making you want it to perform well. We will see, lol.

_MG_1296 1.jpg _MG_1296.jpg

That is a nice piece. i have the PD289 and a similar arm. The only problem I have had is feedback issues, and it sounds better with the dust cover removed. It has performed well without re-capping, and I do not know of any other known issues. Your clay idea is something I might try, did you heat the clay to put it in?

Thanks Freddymac, I was actually wondering if the dust cover might be one of the culprits.

As for the clay, I didn't have to heat it up at all. Just cut off pieces with a putty knife and added removed until they were 20 grams each then rolled into balls, shaped into wedges and pressed in with fingers. Took about 20 minutes. Used craft smart plastalina in black from Michaels.

Can't take credit for this idea though, as I saw another thread where someone else did exactly the same and had already figured out 20 grams is a near perfect fit.

PS... I see now the arm is a TA-1 variant. Looks like they moved the remove-able joint to the head-shell, where it is normally at the back of the arm pipe before it goes into the pivot. Other differences appear to be a different cueing, anti-skate and height adjustment.

Manual for tonearm is here..

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/ta-1.shtml

Last edited:
Fyi.. found the following in the 1984-85 catalog. Looks like these were 1983 manufacture as they are not in the 1981-82 catalog.

https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?luxman/luxman_products_1984-85_fr.pdf

Using google translate for French to English...

Section intro:

The goal of all sound reproduction systems is to reduce operating noise and distortion to a minimum. It is essentially at the level of the first link in the reproduction that it is necessary to avoid the intrusion of these noises, that is to say at the level of the turntable or platinum-cassetes.

After having developed the exclusive 'vds' system that turns the disk. luxman is now going deeper into the exploration of laser technologies with its platinum-to-digital models.

On the other hand, the technology of the luxman arms makes the friction forces a professional class of arms.

From these two elements comes a quality of reproduction that the audiophile varieties recognize as perfection in the field.

Specific to PD-291

All new turntable developed with a very high precision quartz control engine. A motor directly separates torque at the base of the arm ensures that it moves extremely quietly. The low mass arm is statically balanced and has an exclusive interchangeable shell. An electronic arm lift device ensures smooth arm movement. The system of automatic pause at the end of the disk makes it possible to directly control the K 240, K 260, KX 101. The PD-291 can function manually.

Automatic turntable
Type: direct drive
DC motor driver by quartz
30 cm aluminum alloy platter
1.6 kg
Signal-to-noise ratio> 70 db
Wow and flutter 0.03%
Low mass tonearm
Tracking error + 3.02’ -1.34'
Dimensions (W x H x D); 420 x 148 x 350 mm
Net weight: 6.5 kg

DIN cable end and stylus for the v15v should hopefully arrive today.

While I'm waiting I'm going to go ahead and mark off and cut out the bottom plate out of MDF or plywood that I have lying around. Plan to bond this to the top of the pressboard.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm talking to myself here, but in case this helps anyone else...

Stylus arrived and installed. Overhang angle set and arm adjusted.

DIN cable soldered up and installed. (bought ends at less than 2 bucks each and ended up using mouse wire, as the 4 conductor thermostat wire strands were too thick to fit into the pins. Would have been too stiff anyway, and mouse wire is nice and flexible, plus a good length. Highly recommend you find the cable if you have the luxury of waiting for overseas shipping, as soldering these up is only one step less of a PITA than soldering tonearm wire.)

Remote functions working great! Play on the harmony one acts as the play/cut button and pause performs the cue up/cue down function. Really great to be able to turn un the receiver and turntable on with one button and also play the record that's on there or stop the record and shut everything off, without having to get up. The cue up/down is great as well to pause without losing your place. (more or less)

Only thing missing from this vs. a CD player is track forward/back, but I like the 'forced' listening to the while album side as I've learned to appreciate some songs only after hearing a few times. I use a bluetooth receiver or CD when I want to hear a mix or the needledrop mixes I've put on reel to reel.

Initial listening impressions are that there's more clarity (easily noticed) than the Dual 1229Q but it doesn't have the same 'thump' (also easily noticed) on the low end or the overall presence as the idler. Overall musicality is good and I think the soundstage is noticeably bigger and clearer. I'm hearing a good amount more detail throughout the range.

The Luxman's needle is brand new, and only has a couple of hours of play, so I'll spare final judgement for the time being. In comparison the Dual is running a V15 Type 3 DU with an HE stylus vs the Luxman with a V15 Type V with an Elliptical stylus, so thinking the sound signatures ought to be fairly similar, and they are. Perhaps the V15V has a flatter response. Other differences are the Dual has an upgraded anti-resonance counterweight from the 701 model along with a DIY 3 layer MDF/plywood plinth that weighs 35 pounds or so. These modifications made significant improvements on the Dual, so hoping for similar for results from bottom plate mod on the Luxman.

Initial thoughts is that the sonic difference between the units is direct drive vs. idler differences as the bass and rhythm are less in your face with the Luxman, but the melody and 'airiness' is emphasized instead. Listening at moderate volume levels, I didn't get loud enough to hear feedback issues yet, but suspect I'll have to address that. Will put the new bottom plate and sorbothane feet tomorrow after listening at increased levels to see what we get there and if the bass response and presence can match the dual. My test for this will be the Nirvana's Nevermind album, where the on the Dual, the guitar/drums combo on the 1st song, which from silence, comes crashing into my living with strong and starling presence, making me want to jump up and start a one man mosh pit. Haven't tried this on the Luxman yet, but will report back once the 'household' is up and will tolerate some loud music. So far, as it was late in the evening, Miles Davis, Kind of Blue did sound better than it ever has, with the initial fade in having much more volume and clarity than ever before.

Additional impressions and modifications forthcoming...

I recently repaired a Luxman PD277, it was a little tricky to get going, the auto mechanism was siezed with hardened grease, and the end of record sensor wasn't working properly. That one has a non removable headshell and a different anti skating setup, but looks quite similar to yours. I also changed about a half a dozen marginal caoacitors.

It sounded great with a grado cartridge, I thought it was better sounding than I expected. I found the internal construction a little haphazard, and the electronic design kind of mediocre, but the tonearm was good and once working well I really liked it. It also has a nice look to it. I need to buy some Novus 1!

I like the looks of your turntable a lot.. I find it funny you took it from Vancouver to NJ, I'm always scheming how to bring equipment from the US to western Canada :) did you get any questions at airport security?

Last edited:
Thanks maxhifi,

The novus system is pretty good and has 3 parts and the kit is relatively inexpensive on amazon/ebay etc at well under $20. 1 is a cleaner and 2 and 3 are fine abrasive polishes. Per the instructions, start with 1 for the cleaning process and then go 3, 2, 1 depending on the amount of scratches. It seem someone, save the crack, took decent care of this one. It also appears someone has gone through it and given a good cleaning an applied sound deadening to the interior and bottom of the platter. I get the impression someone really tried to make this sound good, but perhaps got to limits and gave up or just didn't like the sound. Hoping my plasticine and the heavier plinth bottom will solve whatever issues were the deciding factors for the last guy.

As for the sound, I put the stylus's brush guard down and increased tracking force by 1/2 a gram to 2 (1.5 grams effective) and it sound as the Dual but with more detail. Seems to be good synergy with the receiver. Pushing the tone control bass know from neutral (noon) to up just a very little bit (12:30-position) makes the bass sound just as pronounced and the overall sound is similar with more detail. Not totally settled yet on which one is better as they are so close and I'm thinking cartridge and stylus are more at play here or perhaps the inherent differences between idler and direct drives.

I am going to put the bottom plate on today for no good reason other than it was easy to cut and will make the unit feel a lot less flimsy.

I like the looks of the traditional PD series like yours with the aluminum clad top plate and wood trim better. Thinking the aluminum top would allow building of a while new plinth easier or perhaps justify taking the existing one apart.

As for the airports/security, that was a bit of fun, but no trouble really... See post #30 here... http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....etter-than-24bit-192-khz-player.827715/page-2

Hey Phil, I'm in Roxbury/Ledgewood, so really close by.

We may have chatted briefly some time ago... You're the former owner of the foreign car/Mercedes shop in Kenvil?

Yup!
Nice thread on your Luxman. I run a B&O 8002 which, when plugged into the B&O receiver, is remote controllable. I never looked into the possibility of rigging up a workaround for a remote.
You're welcome to drop in anytime-just pm me

As a follow up, I've decided to keep this turntable in my main system. Aside from sound, being able to start the receiver, turntable and play a record by pressing 2 buttons on my logitech remote is a big convenience factor, as well as being able to cue via the remote.

I think the brand new needle breaking in might be a factor, but not sure. It's surprisingly very good sounding for how light it is and noticeably better detail than the Dual, and the bass is now as good, which was quite unexpected.

The bottom plate added about 5-7lbs, and also put them on these as feet...

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Diversi...MI1aubqb2c3AIViouzCh30cwfVEAQYASABEgLxyPD_BwE

Got 28 of them delivered overnight for less than $21 bucks and put them under my speakers, audio rack (has glass shelves) and CD player as well.

Now to deal with this shabby silver/gray plastic veneer on the plinth.... Thinking to peel off and replace with walnut wood veneer or perhaps just cover with a gloss black or maybe dark chrome 3m film.

Last edited:
btw, obtained a PDF of the owners manual for the PD-291 (in Japanese) from Luxman. They only copy they had. If anyone want's this or can volunteer to translate, let me know.

edit... bought this to replace the tonearm clip. A bit bigger and the screw hole needs to be enlarged just a little, but works just fine to lock the arm into place... (and looks better than a paper clip!)

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/54...32a-tone-arm-rest-lock-clamp-for-at-lp120-usb

Attempted to attach the pdf, so hope it works.

Sam

Attachments

• 290 own.pdf
    321.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Good work, Sam.:thumbsup:

The pdf downloaded OK, but I should point out that you've named it '290 own' rather than '291 own'! Not speaking Japanese, I can't make much sense of it, apart from the pictures.

Probably the buttons at the front are similar to other automatic Luxman turntables, such as the PD-277, PD-288 and PD-289. The anti-skating is definitely different though, as the others all used a pivoting bar and weight, attached by a thin wire to the pivot hub, and the bar had lines on it corresponding to 0.5g increases in tracking force to set the anti-skating to the appropriate level. Yours is easier in having a dial to turn.

So have a look at the owner's manuals for the PD-277 and PD-289 (the PD-288 is identical to the PD-289 in all except a slightly different tonearm), which can be downloaded from vinylengine. Disregard the parts about the anti-skating, and the stroboscope and speed adjustment, as yours won't have those, but most other areas of operation should be similar.

Thanks Don!

Yep, looks like I fat fingered the file name and will see if I can correct that.

I did previously find the px-99/pad-290 owners manual online (as well as the 291 service manual) and was able to print and use the cartridge alignment diagram and 'protractor' that goes on the spindle but posted this in case it helps anyone who is a kanji reader.

Print scale at 39% put that at just the right size on my Canon printer on 8 1/2 x 11 paper if that helps anyone. (For the 290 manual, not the misnamed 291 manual attached above)

Edit ..link to 290 manual, diagrams are on last page of the one uploaded by Radeon

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/luxman/pd-290.shtml

Last edited:
Bought same unit past Sunday. The guy was the only owner, and the unit is in mint condition, but the cartridge the tt came with was a piece of junk, so I replaced it with Denon MC DL-110. It's just light enough to work with Luxman original tonearm weight.
I also tried Denon DL-103R and Ortofon Cadenza Red, but these were too heavy, and would not align properly when used with original shell.
To my surprise, this little Denon sounds marvelouse on this tt.
I ran Telarc tracking test record on it, and it was able to track all four Tchaykovsky 1812 Overture exerpts, with just a tiny bit of distortions on the fourth test, and no jumping at all.
The only issue I had with it, was a very slight scaping sound, which turned out to be a plater magnet hitting the PCB. 0.5 mm formica washer under the spindle end and some tt oil fixed the issue perfectly.

Now I just need to fing copies of user guide and service manual. If anyone knows where I can find either, pls let me know.

Back
Top Bottom