Luxman Rx-102 Servoface / Suck face repair info help please?

Hi - I have an RX102 which does not "kick" the suckface panel back out when power is turned off. The panel can be manually moved out, and when turning power on, it retracts normally (so the belt/motor are ok)

I have a service manual here and even diagrammed the circuit but not sure where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi - I have an RX102 which does not "kick" the suckface panel back out when power is turned off. The panel can be manually moved out, and when turning power on, it retracts normally (so the belt/motor are ok)

I have a service manual here and even diagrammed the circuit but not sure where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does the motor move slightly (in the same direction) when powering off?

The pin that pushes the panel BACK should CLEAR the cam plate "end" and drop into the straight edge on the plate when powering off.

Mark T. :music:

Does the motor move slightly (in the same direction) when powering off?

The pin that pushes the panel BACK should CLEAR the cam plate "end" and drop into the straight edge on the plate when powering off.

The motor *does* move slightly when powering off. The cam moves (slightly) also, but not far enough to release the panel to move forward. I guess that rules out an electrical issue, the motor is "kicking" on power off. Any guidance on what mechanical I should adjust? Thx.

There may be a set screw on the cam that is holding it to the shaft of the gear assembly that the motor assembly is attached to and may be possibly adjusted and re tightened.

Find a way to loosen the cam and with the power off, set it to clear the "front-back" pin that is attached to the front panel (this pin may also be bent?)

There may be a set screw on the cam that is holding it to the shaft of the gear assembly that the motor assembly is attached to and may be possibly adjusted and re tightened.

Find a way to loosen the cam and with the power off, set it to clear the "front-back" pin that is attached to the front panel (this pin may also be bent?)

Good hints, thank you. I've now determined the motor is working exactly as it should, the cam is properly positioned, and when turning the power off, the motor "bumps" (turns slightly) such that the cam moves and the flat spot clears the "front/back" pin. The pin is not bent.

The issue is that the panel does not slide forward via spring action as it should. It can be moved by hand, but over time it slowly retracts to the "on" position even though the power is off.

The spring/cord/flywheel assembly on the side nearest the center of the receiver appears to serve only as a damper so the panel slides smoothly to the "off" position instead of snapping into place.

What I don't understand is what causes the force that moves the panel to the "off" position? The large spring surrounding the piston has a set screw but I do not see where this should be adjusted. I've tried both extremes and if adjusted toward the back of the chassis it prevents the panel moving forward at all. When adjusted toward the front it even more quickly slides the panel to the "on" position when the power is off.

Note the cam in the "off" position has no contact with the front/back pin. The panel is free to move forward and back. Do you know if that's the correct position of the cam?

Suggestions appreciated on this mechanical puzzle!

Another RX-102 owner here. Picked it up Monday. The bezel was stuck in the play position when I got it. But in cleaning it it went to the off position. So I decided last night to give it a go. Tedious, but a can do. Finally got everything together, and it worked. Yeah. Nice sounding unit.

Another RX-102 owner here. Picked it up Monday. The bezel was stuck in the play position when I got it. But in cleaning it it went to the off position. So I decided last night to give it a go. Tedious, but a can do. Finally got everything together, and it worked. Yeah. Nice sounding unit.

Nice, @gary7! Though the last thing I need are more receivers, I've always wanted a suckface....RX-102 or RX-103.

They are soooooo 80's.

Good hints, thank you. I've now determined the motor is working exactly as it should, the cam is properly positioned, and when turning the power off, the motor "bumps" (turns slightly) such that the cam moves and the flat spot clears the "front/back" pin. The pin is not bent.

The issue is that the panel does not slide forward via spring action as it should. It can be moved by hand, but over time it slowly retracts to the "on" position even though the power is off.

The spring/cord/flywheel assembly on the side nearest the center of the receiver appears to serve only as a damper so the panel slides smoothly to the "off" position instead of snapping into place.

What I don't understand is what causes the force that moves the panel to the "off" position? The large spring surrounding the piston has a set screw but I do not see where this should be adjusted. I've tried both extremes and if adjusted toward the back of the chassis it prevents the panel moving forward at all. When adjusted toward the front it even more quickly slides the panel to the "on" position when the power is off.

Note the cam in the "off" position has no contact with the front/back pin. The panel is free to move forward and back. Do you know if that's the correct position of the cam?

Suggestions appreciated on this mechanical puzzle!
Did you ever resolve your issue? Mine was stuck in the "Play" position until I started cleaning around the mechanism, then it moved to the off position. So I searched on line & studied the SM and got it working last night. Cool receiver. As someone mentioned, definitely over engineered. Was really no need for this, just trying to be different. But cool none the less.

That's very kind. I will send it to you.

Tony
Hello, I understand you are willing to sell belts for the service face mechanism in the Luxman RX-line? I have a KX-102 with a non working servoface. I’m not sure if it’s the belt or the mother (or both) that are not working. If you are selling motors and belts I’d be happy to buy.

Hi Tony
I could send you some belts if I know your address.
Hello, I understand you are willing to sell belts for the service face mechanism in the Luxman RX-line? I have a KX-102 with a non working servoface. I’m not sure if it’s the belt or the mother (or both) that are not working. If you are selling motors and belts I’d be happy to buy.

20201102_160744.jpg 20201102_160744.jpg 20201102_160748.jpg 20201102_160755.jpg 20201102_160758.jpg 20201102_160802.jpg 20201102_160806.jpg 20201102_160813.jpg 20201102_160822.jpg 20201102_161140.jpg I just did some work on a buddy's RX-102. Pulled it completely apart and cleaned the motor, dried up the belt and gave it a little Re-Grip. I'm fairly certain the belt had been replaced within the last decade. Step-by-step I powered the motor and lubed the sintered bearings, the reassembled it. The thing's got a TON of torque on just a little 9V dry cell! The mistake I made, though, was testing it and the cam switch--that teeny tiny off-center popping SPDT that halts the mechanism either SUCKED or UNSUCKED--it snapped off. I managed to reassemble it, but once I got it together it reciprocated endlessly. Dangit! So I'm either going to do microsurgery on the switch or seek another. I am NOT optimistic that I will find one anywhere. Anyway, these kinds of mechanisms are a lot of fun to work on. If anyone knows of a line on that switch, please let me know!!

Attachments

• 20201102_161149.jpg
    20201102_161149.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 47
The motor in the KX-102 doesn’t spin on mine, I sprayed lubrication/cleaner in it and manually spun the brass wheel to get it spinning, but it stopped after a couple of seconds... it looks like I need both a new motor and a microswitch.

I finally got this microswitch fixed. It was a nightmare of tiny plastic bits and epoxy---but it works! If that little SPDT leaf switch was available somewhere it would have been so much easier. It was a customer's and I really am not fond of the receiver. The suckface is pretty cool, though. OK, I do like it. Kinda "James Bond-y."

Back
Top Bottom