Lyra Owners - Help!

Hi,

I purchased a second-hand Lyra Delos to be used with a new Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace. I had the Delos checked out soon after purchase and everything appeared to be acceptable however my turntable dealer has been in the process of setting everything up for me and reached out to say that the suspension on the Delos looks to be very low and may well be at the end of its usable life. I've read that Lyras tend to be quite low running but as you can see from the attached photo the dealer sent me, it's extremely low. They've set the arm up to minimise the issue as far as possible (fractional tweak of the VTA and running it towards the lighter end of the tracking force range) but it does look worrying low and wonder what might happen on an LP with even a slight warp.

A quick search online and I've seen a couple of photos from other Delos owners where it appears that theirs is also sitting extremely low so am hopeful any Lyra owners here can offer their thoughts. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181003_100631543.jpg
    IMG_20181003_100631543.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 51
I'll check my Delos when i get home this evening, but I don't think these cartridges are old enough yet for the suspensions to be showing any signs of deterioration.

Also, have the shop recheck VTF. Lyra specs a VERY narrow range of 1.7-1.8 grams.

Would really appreciate that. I did drop Lyra’s UK distributor an email about this and sent him the same photo. He said it didn’t look worryingly low to him which is some comfort but would still really like to know what other Lyra owners think. Still seems to me that a little warp in a record and there’s going to be trouble. Will also take your suggestion and ask the dealer to confirm VTF. Thanks

I have a Kleos....when I last looked at it, it didn't seem to ride quite as low, but it's been a couple of years and my memory is kinda sketchy.

Double check the VTF; if it plays and sounds fine don't worry about it.

Checked my Delos this evening. It rides about as low as yours. I've had it for a number of years; sounds fantastic and I've NEVER had a problem with it. Here's a photo of mine, mounted on a VPI Classic:
Lyra Delos.JPG

Last edited:
Checked my Delos this evening. It rides about as low as yours. I've had it for a number of years; sounds fantastic and I've NEVER had a problem with it. Here's a photo of mine, mounted on a VPI Classic:
View attachment 1296386

Thanks for this. Does look to be similar. Would you know what the spec clearance is on a Delos? I've tried to look it up online but so far haven't found it.

Thanks again for the responses here. As a quick update I've heard from Lyra's UK distributor who said he didn't think the clearance was worryingly low. Also heard from a Senior Engineer at Expert Stylus who said the underside clearance appears to be adequate. Given this, and your feedback and photos I think I'm going to tell the dealer to leave the Delos setup and I'll hope for the best.

*UPDATE*

Upon further reflection, I decided not to stick with the Delos as it was. I had the option of sending it off to Japan for inspection, partial rebuild or complete rebuild (estimated wait time 8-9 weeks) or could do an exchange for a new Delos for the very same price as a full rebuild. Thankfully, my dealer was able to get hold of a replacement Delos very quickly. I had picked up the second hand Delos for quite a good price so even with the exchange price I'm still coming in under the usual price for a new one. As a point of illustration, the attached photo shows the new Delos on the left (apparently about a 2mm difference) and the old one on the right.

Attachments

• IMGP0807.JPG
    IMGP0807.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 17
Looks much better, at least from that perspective. The cantilever should be pinned against the bottom of the yoke opening with no VTF applied. Both of mine (Kleos, Dorian) look like that. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom