M44E Cartridge Replacement

JohnAZ

I'm considering changing the M44E (9.5mV) cartridge installed on my Garrard AT6 (Custom Electra VI console) with a AT95E (3.5mV) cartridge. How much volume output will I lose if I do this? Is the new cartridge upgrade worth the volume loss? Thank you!

It will be quite noticable, but should only change where the control is set for satisfactory sounding loudness level.

Thats a very significant drop. Personally I'd be inclined to keep the Shure, maybe with a different / better stylus or use another cartridge marketed as a DJ cartridge. Most of them were fairly hot output. With that machine I would also stick to conical points. The arm geometry isn't optimal and conicals are a lot less likely to damage records from bad geometry.

The original N44E Shure stylus was a .4 x. 7 mil elliptical with a suggested tracking range of 1.75 -4 grams ( meaning optimal VTF was probably around 3 grams or more ). A .4 x.7 elliptical would probably work better with slightly askew arm geometry than would a finer elliptical, like a .3 x .7 or a .2 x .7. If you want to stay with an elliptical, look for another .4 x .7 (even if you change to a different brand cartridge), but a conical can sound very good, and AK has some die-hard conical stylus fans. Be sure you know how to adjust the Vertical Tracking Force on that turntable if you are going to go with a stylus that needs a different amount. Usually the optimum amount is approx. 2/3rds to 3/4s of the way up in the suggested range, though that can vary some with different tonearms, etc.

Below's a link to the listings for replacement styli for your current cartridge at TVOM -- there are two brands of generic replacements and some original Shure needles, (oops) none are .4 x .7 ellipticals, only .3 x .7. Maybe somebody with your turntable, and who is using the finer elliptical (on a Shure or other cart brand) can suggest whether there is a way to set it up for minimal problems of the kind gadget73 warned of.

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/...Type=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Shure&Categories=

No way to adjust the cartridge on these, it bolts up where it bolts up. Its a decent performing changer but it does have it's limitations. I usually ran Pickering V15's on mine with a conical that would run around 3 grams. The AT-2 is a good one. For an M44, I might seek out an N44-7 stylus.

Back
Top Bottom