m97xe vs m95ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragamuffin

I recently acquired m95ed cartridge with a broken stylus. Got a replacement needle from Carole's (767-DED) and compared the sound from m95ed and m97xe on my Pioneer pl-5.
Here's my thoughts after listening to several LPs. To me, m95ed sounded bright and more detailed whereas m97xe sounded warm and richer, but less detailed. I don't have access to original stylus for m95ed, so I don't know if this is a fair comparison. Has anyone else have experience with both? Is this a fair assessment?

Also, how different is overall sound quality of pl-5 vs pl-518? I know price differs a lot.

Last edited:
I prefer the M95ED. To my ears at least, it's got a livelier sound than the M97xe. My own M95ED has an LP Gear elliptical replacement stylus in it.
I never warmed up the M97xe. It was just a bit too laid back for my tastes but could be I just wasn't using it on the right turntable.

I prefer the M95ED. To my ears at least, it's got a livelier sound than the M97xe. My own M95ED has an LP Gear elliptical replacement stylus in it.
I never warmed up the M97xe. It was just a bit too laid back for my tastes but could be I just wasn't using it on the right turntable.
I agree with you on preferring M95ed. But I don't know what other cartridge would sound good/better for my turntable. I don't have that kind of budget.

LP Gear sells a ViVid hyper-elliptical stylus for the M95. That's one potential upgrade path, and it's less than $100.
I think highly enough of the M95ED that I could easily live with it as my daily driver. No need for any upgrades.

Another vote for the M95ED which is a superb cart, second only to the V15 in the stereodynetic line of carts. I don't think the M97xE can even compare. IMO, the M95ED is way more balanced.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Changing subjects here. Is there a noticeable difference in Pioneer PL-5 vs PL-518? I played with both using same cartridge, but can't detect much differences.

Don't forget the JICO replacement styli for classic Shure cartridges. They are as close to the originals as you can get...

N95G (.6 mil conical) grey grip
e007428.jpg

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1029&osCsid=olvas1mcl6hgc5rre3us280th2

N95ED (.3 x .7 mil elliptical) yellow grip
e007430.jpg

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1031&osCsid=olvas1mcl6hgc5rre3us280th2

N95HE (hyper-elliptical) black grip
e007429.jpg

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1030&osCsid=olvas1mcl6hgc5rre3us280th2

Last edited:
LP Gear sells a ViVid hyper-elliptical stylus for the M95. That's one potential upgrade path, and it's less than $100.
I think highly enough of the M95ED that I could easily live with it as my daily driver. No need for any upgrades.

Another possible option is a NOS Ne95ED stylus from LPGear (if you order through Amazon, shipping is free). This is a low profile NCD form factor stylus, but I believe it will also fit the standard M95ED body (please check).

I purchased one of these a year ago and use it on a Realistic R47XT, which is a standard M95ED body with an extended plastic shroud that requires the low profile NCD form factor styli (or trimming the plastic shroud to use the standard N95 form factor styli.

Anyway, I find this a very pleasant cartridge/stylus combo, and one of the few NOS Shure replacement styli still available at an affordable price.

Shure_Ne95_ED_3.jpg

Shure_Ne95_ED_4.jpg

Shure_Ne95_ED_1.jpg

Shure NE95ED Stylus Specifications: - Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec.: 4.7mV - Channel balance: 2dB - Channel separation @ 1kHz: 25dB - Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz - Stylus type: 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical - Tracking force range: 0.75-1.50g - Color: Yellow

Edit: oops, I just noticed the price is $10 less when buying directly from LPGear than buying from them through Amazon. Wipes out the "free shipping" benefit. I actually bought mine from LPTunes, LPGear's sister store. For some reason, the shipping was cheaper from LPTunes.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your thoughts. Changing subjects here. Is there a noticeable difference in Pioneer PL-5 vs PL-518? I played with both using same cartridge, but can't detect much differences.

Keep in mind that the M95ED is a high compliance cartridge and works best in low mass tone-arms. I would say that the PL-5 and M95ED are a good match. The M97xE with its stabilizing brush would work well in the PL-518.

Yes, what they said.
And, I have absolutely no faith in any Shure cartridge or needle from Mexico. I get a fair amount of M97xE passing through here, and about 20% have had a defective coil.
Moreover, I have a personal M91ED, and was suffering with a 'south of the border' stylus. Then the diamond chip fell of. Was supposed to be a naked diamond, not a bonded chip. I found an original USA M91ED stylus, bent like a sourdough pretzel. Straightened it out and now the M91ED sounds like it should.

Keep in mind that the M95ED is a high compliance cartridge and works best in low mass tone-arms. I would say that the PL-5 and M95ED are a good match. The M97xE with its stabilizing brush would work well in the PL-518.
Thanks. That helps me match my turntables to cartridges.

I have five cartridges. How would you order them from best to worst?
M95ED
M97XE
AT VS210E
Empire LTD 400
Grado G+

Thanks. That helps me match my turntables to cartridges.

I have five cartridges. How would you order them from best to worst?
M95ED
M97XE
AT VS210E
Empire LTD 400
Grado G+

You have to factor into the equation the availability of a high quality stylus for a particular cartridge. The M95ED with an original "Made In USA" N95ED (nude diamond) stylus would be the best of the lot. The JICO N95HE or N95ED I previously posted would keep that cartridge at the top of the list as well.

Last edited:
Based on the m97xe I had , it would be at the very bottom. I must have gotten a dud because some folk speak highly of it.

Based on the m97xe I had , it would be at the very bottom. I must have gotten a dud because some folk speak highly of it.
I wasn't too impressed by it either. The other three cartridges are all missing stylus. I'm thinking of reviving Grado G+, but I'm not sure if I want to spend close to $100 to find out. Maybe I'll start with either VS210E or Empire LTD400.

I would pick the M95 or M91 over the M97xE. Thankfully you get good aftermarket styli over a range of prices for them, so you don’t have to have OEM. The Jico HE would be a nice stylus fir the M95. Same with VividLine.

There are fans of the M97xE fans here, my experience has not been great but I do use an LP Gear ViVidLine on the M97 and it is quite good. I bought it before the price increase but still recommend it at current price.

I read all the raves on the Shure M97xe and decided that I should get one for my beater TT. I also have a USB micro camera, when I got it was so messed up and just poorly finished I just put it back in the box and returned it. I really wanted to try it, even as bad as it was, but I didn't. Shure did say they would replace it. My only other thought was that it was a FAKE copy.

They are all duds.

The M97xE and M95ED are hardly "duds".

I own two M97xE cartridges and a handful of M95 series, (M95G, M95ED, M95EJ and M95HE), installed properly in compatible tone-arms, they are all excellent. They have been in and out of rotation for several years in my ever-evolving system.

When I bought my first M97xE, I thought it was a little dull sounding, but that's because I was comparing it to a M91ED with a EVG stylus. As I listened to them more and more, I realized that the M97xE wasn't dull, it was that the M91ED with that EVG needle was anything but neutral sounding. It actually started to sound annoying. It was then that I started to look for alternatives for my Shure cartridges and discovered JICO. No more EVG's for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom