MA-6100 Integrated

Some find the 6100 a bit disappointing when used as an integrated while when used as a power amp or preamp pretty nice. I had this experience and suspect the power supply might be a might too small for both. I found it to be an excellent entry point into Mc knowing the buyer will be moving to add later either a power amp or preamp. An alternative is a MX tuner/preamp and separate power amp.

The 6100 is a very good amp but not quite euqal to the sum of its parts.

Thanks for the reply. One showed up on CL in my neighborhood and was curious but I figured it was more an entry level unit and not anything real special.

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Let me clarify, an entry level Mc is equal or better to most totl of anything else. If in decent condition and working well worth investigating and getting is a decent price, especially if local.

My first McIntosh component was an MA 6100. It needed some service work and after that was reliable and sounded well. Not the best McIntosh ever made but a nice solid, reliable integrated amp which still has parts and service support from McIntosh. My unit was later damaged by a hyper neighbor youngster who damaged the glass and broke the on/off/volume pot. It was repaired (the kid's mom learned an expensive lesson) and traded in for a MAC 1900 receiver and $75. I still use that MAC 1900 daily.

The MA230 is also not considered the best of the MACs due to the early SS preamp but will also put to shame most newer mass marketed junk, It was my first MAC and I was stunned at it's performance being a totally stock 30 something year old unit when I bought it.

How would it compare sound wise to a Sansui AU? Say an AU 9900 or my current AU D11 II and AU 417? I am curious about Macs but so far have shied away due to the price.

More punch than an AU, bit less less clutter on the front, and if in top shape can be surprisingly good. 6100 has some gotchas, the biggest is the tone control zero adjustments, they are rarely set correctly, when set right and updated the 6100 can really shine.

A little low, $700-$750. More if it has a wood case, or Audio Classics or Terry DeWick refurbished with 1 year warranty.

Yup...that's about right. Sometimes they do pop up locally for around $600 if the seller is not into vintage audio. There is one listed on Bartertown right now, with wood case and manuals, for $850 if local pick up.

McIntosch MA6100 vintage amp - $200 (venice) hide this posting
00o0o_bN5SZOLPcYN_600x450.jpg

3454.png
3454.png
3455.png
3455.png

What do you think?

Pigboat

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Faceplate crack and one channel suddenly stopped working. Pickup only. Classic high-end amp that can be restored to its full glory.

Back
Top Bottom