ma5200 noise when unit is turned on...is this normal?

samhill1981

whenever i turn the unit on there's a slight noise, not exactly a "pop" but definitely audible. i'm wondering if this is common when turning on other mac amps/integrateds? i got this unit second hand, and it's always made this noise. had it a few weeks now.

it's not a noise heard through the speakers btw, it's within the unit itself, almost like the sound of the lamps turning on or something? When i google this issue, almost every result is related to a 'speaker pop' it's definitely not that, and the sound comes from with the unit. Thanks for your time.

As Ron posted this is normal. I have always considered it more of a click than a pop.

Well I have a similar question but a different noise. Not the usual "click" on power on but on a new MA5200 I'm getting very faint "thud" through the speakers. Thoughts?

Thanks for the tip. I'm still skeptical about this being normal. I never hear anyone else mentioned a light thud / pop on power on.

They might not mention it because they are used to it and consider it to be normal. I've had McIntosh electronics mated to three different sets of speakers over the past 20 years, and have always experienced a light thud from the speakers at power-up. I've never had a problem with any of the electronics or speakers during that time period. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom