Mac Amps - all are Class A?

SiliconTi

Hi All,

So, I am trying to figure out if the amp in my Mac 4100 is Class A or A/B. Anyone know definitively?

If I were a betting man I would say A/B. Class A would run much hotter in a solid state amp requiring much larger heat sinks that your receiver doesn't have the room for.

I agree that is has to be A/B. It runs too cool for class A. I have two class A amps and they run very hot, even with little current going through them (Sony ES receiver and a Haffler 220).

MAC4100 is a direct coupled amplifier unlike most of Mc's standalone amplifiers which are Autoformer (AB). So that's one difference.

4100's literature doesn't seem to indicate.

MAC4100 is a direct coupled amplifier unlike most of Mc's standalone amplifiers which are Autoformer (AB). So that's one difference.

4100's literature doesn't seem to indicate.
So the 4100 doesn't have autoformers even though it has the power guard circuitry?

Output Autoformers and Power Guard are two separate technologies. McIntosh direct coupled amps have used Power Guard since the 1970s.
Ron-C

The manual to my MC2125's says the output stage operates in class B

Shame on me for not knowing this, owning two.
redface.gif

However, Mc was quick to point out this Class B design does not have notch type distortion (for which Class B amplifiers are generally known to exhibit).

Shame on me for not knowing this, owning two.
redface.gif

However, Mc was quick to point out this Class B design does not have notch type distortion (for which Class B amplifiers are generally known to exhibit).
I've seen LOTS of Mc designs with Class B output stages - look at the top of an MC2300. This is not at all uncommon nor is it bad when crossover distortion is eliminated.

I've seen LOTS of Mc designs with Class B output stages - look at the top of an MC2300. This is not at all uncommon nor is it bad when crossover distortion is eliminated.

Indeed. If Mc saw fit to use the design, that's enough for me.
yes.gif

Last edited:
Indeed. If Mc saw fit to use the design, that's enough for me.
yes.gif

Agreed. I only ask for clarification. On another forum I'm in a bit of a urinating contest with someone that insists they are class A. My experience, even without knowing the class, shows them to not be A, as they run way to cool.

There was a similar Class A thread started here back in January. There were a couple of urination contests going on there that were moderated out, and it turned out to be a good conversation in the end. Best to leave the urination to the bathrooms. :)

The block diagram in the service manual for the MC2505 refers to it as a "Class B Output Stage". Sounds good to me. :music:
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom