MAC to DAC connectivity question

Using Airplay you can stream music to multiple Airport Express units or Apple TVs in different locations at the same time.

I tried a SONOS a while back and found the sound quality streaming lossless ripped CDs with the SONOS internal DAC was not as good as an Airport Express or Apple TV with my external DAC.

I also tried a Node2 and found the sound quality with the internal DAC was better than the SONOS but still not as good as an Airport Express or Apple TV with my external DAC.

When I used the Node2 with my external DAC, I could not detect any difference between it and the Airport Express or Apple TV.

I am not saying the SONOS and Node2 are bad, they work fine for what they are intended, but you can achieve better sound quality with a separate DAC.
Thank you very much for that report. It makes me think that I could invest in a couple used airports for the places I would likely actually stream my lossless music. That probably would be as cheap or cheaper than a wired solution in my main room. I am already running off of Mac anyway.

My iMac does not have a optical out option, although I have heard I can use the 3.5mm headphone jack and convert to digital. I have always heard the perspective that SPDIF coax was an improvement over Toslink.

Really, both of my iMacs have a headphone out mini plug that doubles as an optical out. I would be surprised if yours did not.

And after a bit of research, I see that they eliminated it on the 2017 iMacs.

Starting in 2006, Apple incorporated support for S/PDIF, an optical digital connection standard that uses a fiber-optic cable with a Toslink connector or through Mini Toslink, which is compatible with standard 3.5mm audio jacks. This allowed higher-quality digital audio output, and this standard allows for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound encoding, depending on the source device.

However, this support has disappeared in recent years, plausibly because it wasn’t being used by enough people to warrant its inclusion?

The 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros and the 2017 iMacs omit S/PDIF from their headphone jacks,

yeah, I think mine is a 2017 iMac.

I am still thinking USB to Schiit Eitr, SPDIF from Eitr to Dac. That way I can have the DAC close to the integrated amp, and run very short RCA to the amp and a short SPBID+F from the CDP to the DAC. That just seems like a clean way to do it for me and limits complexity

yeah, I think mine is a 2017 iMac.

I am still thinking USB to Schiit Eitr, SPDIF from Eitr to Dac. That way I can have the DAC close to the integrated amp, and run very short RCA to the amp and a short SPBID+F from the CDP to the DAC. That just seems like a clean way to do it for me and limits complexity

Before you drop $200 or more on it, just get a decent 20' USB cable, chances are it will work just fine.

Ok, at work I finally figured out I am going optical out of the 3.5 to the Toslink in on my MusicHall integrated. Should be fine. Will test it against the current 3.5 out to analog I have going now. Will get a mid-level audioquest (the forest) and call it good.

Optical output of Airport Express is known to be quite jittery to the point some DACs fail to lock reliably on the signal. I'd consider other methods before it.
I've streamed Tidal HiFi to an Airport Express either from an iPhone or Macbook Air for about a year now. The AE is connected via TOSLink to a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC. Zero issues when going this route. Your mileage may vary. When using the Mac Air, I usually go USB to the Bifrost which delivers a subtly better sound. That said, I can connect the Macbook wirelessly to the AE, as well. Sounds really good for a $40 solution.

Also as previously mentioned, any Apple wireless device, Airport Express, Apple TV ,etc limits you to 16/44(16/48), so no 24/96 etc. personally I'd never want to make that limitation just for wireless

Also as previously mentioned, any Apple wireless device, Airport Express, Apple TV ,etc limits you to 16/44(16/48), so no 24/96 etc. personally I'd never want to make that limitation just for wireless

It all depends upon what you are streaming. All my content has been ripped from CDs, so 16/44 is fine for me. I don't have anything at a higher bit rate. If you need higher bitrates, ChromeCast Audio does 24/96. I have both types of devices between my 8 systems (2 locations).

If you are paying Tidal for high def bitrates or have other HD sources, then you need to spend the money for a system and devices that support the higher bit rates. Airplay and CCA devices are low cost methods of WiFi connectivity with CD quality. If you want higher quality, spend more money.

Back
Top Bottom