Magnavox 9303 pairing to an integrated amp recommendation

mistro

All I'm in the process of buying a modded Magnavox 9303 from another AKer on BT. It's my second tube system after my Conrad Johnson. The issue is the integrated amp to pair with this 15 wpc power amp.

Right now I have I have two integrated amps, the Luxman L-430 rated at 105 wpc and a questionable Technics SU-8080 rated at 72wpc, (Total harmonic distortion: 0.015% & 0.20% respectively) the question is are either of these two as integrated amps the correct sized amps to hook up to the Magnavox power tube amp rated at 15 wpc? I'm still committed to buying the Amp but if the two integrated amps I have are over powered to the Maggie then I'd like to understand what would be better now so I can plan my next acquisition. Thanks. Mike

Your Luxman & Technics would need to have a pre-out option. If not, you can not use the Magnavox amplifier with either of them.

If the modded Magnavox amp happens to contain a volume control, then you could use it via either of the integrated amplifiers "TAPE OUT" or "REC OUT" jacks but this hook up would not allow you to use any tone or volume controls from either of your integrated amps.

Sorry I should have included that info. Both those amps have pre in and outs and the 9303 only has an interconnect and speaker jacks (no volume control) so l can't do anything but the first option in the previous post.

The question is whether using either of these amps Luxman & Technics (solid state 105 & 72 wpc respectively) as a preamp to the 9303 (tube 15 wpc) makes sense power and sound wise.

I have no doubt that the 9303 produces great sound which is why I intend to buy it, but am I better off buying a less powerful preamp, maybe a tube integrated amp, and leaving the Luxman to stand alone as it does now (the Technics is not in daily use)

Thanks, Mike

The Luxman would most likely make the better preamp of the two, although its kind of a waste of the Luxman.
But if you don't have a preamp, that'll work.

By the way I'm using a 9304 with the Dave Gillespie mods in my system now. If you want to hear it send me a PM. I think you live like 6 blocks from me.

Well, that was fast...
The Luxman would most likely make the better preamp of the two, although its kind of a waste of the Luxman.
But if you don't have a preamp, that'll work.

Kirk57 makes my point exactly, is the pairing of the 9303 and the Luxman a waste of the Luxman significant stand-alone capabilities? And I'm curious as to why the Technics is a lesser choice, perhaps I'll ask him face to face since we apparently are neighbors...

And I certainly will contact you, neighbor but our get together may be delayed a bit; but I'm going through with the 9303 purchase, the seller has been most patient. Thanks. Mike

At some point I would consider getting a straight up preamp to use with the Magnavox. There really isn't any need to use an integrated amp since the only part you'd actually be making use of is the preamp circuitry.

Back
Top Bottom