Magnavox Concert Grand Score

Horn Head...... I had a mint Electrohome tube consul I took the hammer to! Not quite as "Sweet" as your find !! Two seperate amps!!! Mine was a nice Aluminium Faced Stereo AM/FM Tube Receiver....downward horn ported 12" woofers & 3 1/2" tweets.... "Too Big" for the Wifey to find in our familyroom.........Found it for $25.00 ....Pull the Amps and sell off the "RARITY".....If someone wants it that bad!!!

Tera, Cool thing is wifey is OK with this stuff (I'm the luckiest man in the world next to Lou Gehrig). Keeping the CG and the Stomberg Carlson monsters intact....will be great discussion pieces at cocktail parties!

Last edited:
About to recap the cans on these CG amps (didn't do that yet). We'll see if we can reduce the heat on the power transformer to the one that melts wax out of the bottom.

Also picked-up a 4A 12 VAC bucking transformer that hopefully will support both CG amps from one circuit (once the recap is finished.) This should bring voltages down to about 112VAC.

Want to connect these amps again because I miss their sound on the cornerhorns......stunning they were. Now just want to ensure they're safe when operating.

Hopefully this weekend will have some pics of the PS Cap swap and bucking transformer build.

Haven't yet gotten into the cans to recap yet, but have all the parts to make it happen....

Saw another post about baking the amps. Think I might do this first so I can re-set that wax-goo back into the right amp (was dripping out the bottom slowly when I had them biamping the cornerhorns).

Think I might put them into the oven at 175 degress, upside down to reset the wax.

Things should be better now that I have the bucking transformer that can handle both amp power supplies. This'll be interesting....

Then, recap the PS and turn those babies loose on the corrnerhorns (or A-7s).

Hopefully can do before the next weekend. Lots of stress coming down as we're moving back to our permanent residence in PA next month. Like to have those CG amps powering the EVs for the living room...massive power!

magnavox info posted was mine!!!just say'n

I happened on to this thread, I found my 1960 concert grand in Wisconson about 5 years ago,it was moved there from PA in the 70s..everything was from the original family,I copied some of the info onto Magnavox friend site.and someone copied it here. If you would like more info you can post or email me.I have the original signed note from the Magnavox sales dept as to why they were having problems on this unit (backordered parts or something) and would delay shipping for another month, it was special ordered,that was very cool!.And talking to the owner when his dad bought this and how "no one was to touch it!!" thats what he remembers.Today I use it once in a while,keep it in our bedroom. serves as a dresser mostly.but definitly not going anywhere soon. Also the only one I have seen with the gold tuner face where the knobs are under the tuner face and the older gold turntable. others I seen have a silver knob face and the silver turntable. I have 2 more of the larger type woofers with 50oz. magnets like above post. I run in my main set up with each 15 and horn per side using a amp148 monoblock which is basically the same as the 8201 except it is a older version. sound is better because my speakers are seperated vs the cg cabinet.

Jeff,

Yeah, those letters were great additions to this thread. Not too much info on the net about these consoles.

You posted some pics of your setup on this thread last year...very nice.

I've recently moved back to PA and have the CG sitting in the basement (along with a few other goodies) awaiting the finishing of the basement. Haven't powered-up the CG for about 6 months since before the move. When situated, hope to get the tuner/pre recapped and clean the console. It'll be a nice complement to the Stomberg console.

Thanks for the offer for info. May take you up on it when I'm finished with construction duties...

Just drive that bike up here, it's only 16 hours or so. You're welcome anytime. You might need snow chains if you come this week though.....:D

cheerio chaps!

enjoying my 1958 concert grand right now. i'm streaming cuban bigband to it from one of my internet radio stations. a really amazing thing about this old console is its ability to "launch" sound. it sits facing my front door maybe 10 feet back but in plain site when you open the front door. turned up but not unbearably loud, the sound just carries all over the front yard.

i live in a predominately cuban neighborhood and the oldtimers that walk around here are mesmerized by the maggie when its playing. they rarely come over and say anything (its a miami thing) but you'll see them hang around earshot listening to the old music.

its such a cool old setup and i love it as much as my Mc tube setup.

cheerio chaps!

enjoying my 1958 concert grand right now. i'm streaming cuban bigband to it from one of my internet radio stations. a really amazing thing about this old console is its ability to "launch" sound. it sits facing my front door maybe 10 feet back but in plain site when you open the front door. turned up but not unbearably loud, the sound just carries all over the front yard.

i live in a predominately cuban neighborhood and the oldtimers that walk around here are mesmerized by the maggie when its playing. they rarely come over and say anything (its a miami thing) but you'll see them hang around earshot listening to the old music.

its such a cool old setup and i love it as much as my Mc tube setup.

Neat....a '58 CG blasting period cuban music. Probably brings back some stark memories of the revolution for those old-timers.

Hi Everyone.. Just got a Concert Grand at a used furniture, plan to restore it, unit works, but i am sure it needs some attention. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. What an awesome piece of furniture. Anybody know where i can get a service manual. I believe it is a 1959 model year. Thanks

Check post #30. And I think Raul sent me a service manual for a 1960 CG - will check. Not sure how similar is is. Can send.

Please post pics of yours. They are gorgeous consoles!

Hello everyone, sorry I haven't posted pics of my CG yet, been restoring an old farmhouse, planning a move, barely have time to think. I do have a question on using a turntable with a magnetic cartridge on my CG. Simply...will it work or require an additional preamp, dont want to try it just yet, just gathering info. Cant wait to fin ally restore this beautiful monster

Attachments

• 100_0887.jpg
    100_0887.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0888.jpg
    100_0888.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_0895.jpg
    100_0895.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0897.jpg
    100_0897.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 152
you would definitely need some kind of phono preamp . . . the factory TT has a ceramic cart

Figured that, gonna look for a tube preamp online. might even build one if i can find some plans...thanks for the advice

Maybe a phono stage with RIAA equalization built in or a pre amp with equalization
as the original equalization was likely the Ceramic cartridge. If you are going to use the Maggie pre amp and controls an equalized phono stage with a subsonic filter might be worth a look
A dual 1009 or similar small form factor tt might be good if you are going to install in place of origional a lot of people like the ART DJ pre inexpensive but some say it works well no subsonic filter though a lot of plans on line for diy pre amps nice console . thyanks for posting the pictures
regards

Last edited:
Possible reason for different woofers in the CG

I have a theory for why there are two different woofers used in the CG: the phonograph. The designers of all consoles had to contend with protecting the turntable from vibration, and yet the Maggie CG boasts full frequency response. One way to achieve that in a single cabinet console would be to put a woofer closest to the phonograph that slightly rolled off the bass, while the woofer farthest from the phonograph did not.

Back
Top Bottom