Magnum Dynalab Owners Thread

My MD90 has never drifted. You might want to contact the mfg.
The signal sleuth narrows the antenna's signal so an adjacent channel doesn't step on your intended station. It effectively tunes the antenna so it's more sensitive to the frequency you want.

Have owned a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A for 28 years and it has been trouble-free. Recently, when I was installing some upgrade audio cables, I encountered some problems with the RCA jacks on the HI output. On a lark, I tried the LO output and was shocked at the improvement in sound quality. The LO output comes directly from the multiplex filter, bypassing the output amplifier (NE5532 opamp) on the HI output. A higher volume control setting was required, but this did not pose a problem as my preamp has plenty of gain.

If you have a MD FT-101A and want better sound quality, give the LO output a try. I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

Have owned a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A for 28 years and it has been trouble-free. Recently, when I was installing some upgrade audio cables, I encountered some problems with the RCA jacks on the HI output. On a lark, I tried the LO output and was shocked at the improvement in sound quality. The LO output comes directly from the multiplex filter, bypassing the output amplifier (NE5532 opamp) on the HI output. A higher volume control setting was required, but this did not pose a problem as my preamp has plenty of gain.

If you have a MD FT-101A and want better sound quality, give the LO output a try. I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

Thanks! I never thought about trying the LO outputs.

Thank you for the tip. I have never bothered with the low output jacks on my FT-101. Eliminating an opamp stage of amplification is almost always a good idea so I took your suggestion. My preamp also has lots of gain.

I am listening to the Blues Hour on WDNA 88.9 as I write this. What a difference in sound! Big improvements in clarity, dynamics and tone. The added clarity of voices, both the announcers and recorded singing is startling.

Ed

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip. I have never bothered with the low output jacks on my FT-101. Eliminating an opamp stage of amplification is almost always a good idea so I took your suggestion. My preamp also has lots of gain.

I am listening to the Blues Hour on WDNA 88.9 as I write this. What a difference in sound! Big improvements in clarity, dynamics and tone. The added clarity of voices, both the announcers and recorded singing is startling.

Ed
Glad that the change worked as well for you as it did for me. As a related point of interest, none of the current MD models have the LO output option. For that reason alone, I'll be keeping my FT-101A.

Glad that the change worked as well for you as it did for me. As a related point of interest, none of the current MD models have the LO output option. For that reason alone, I'll be keeping my FT-101A.
That is also good information. A great reason to stand pat.

I spent a good portion of yesterday listening to jazz, until she who must be obeyed intervened. What an easy and worthwhile tweek.

Listening to WDNA 88.9 Weekend Jazz on my new to me FT-11. The antenna is a MD Silver Ribbon.

The tuner is sensitive despite being on the first floor of a two story building. Weak local stations such as WVUM came in with full quieting. The audio sounds good with a decent soundstage. It sounds similar to my FT-101.

I like the small footprint, the minimalist staying and the sound. It is not a DX machine but as a second tuner, it would fill the bill.

The problems? It drifts. After keeping it on for 48 hours, it settled down a bit but after eight hours of listening, the VFO started to drift again. The tuning knob is broken but it should not be too difficult to glue together. Neither the signal strength meter nor the tuning meter work. I can live without these.

My dilemma is whether to send it to Magnum Dynalab for repair or live with these problems.

Listening to WDNA 88.9 Weekend Jazz on my new to me FT-11. The antenna is a MD Silver Ribbon.

The tuner is sensitive despite being on the first floor of a two story building. Weak local stations such as WVUM came in with full quieting. The audio sounds good with a decent soundstage. It sounds similar to my FT-101.

I like the small footprint, the minimalist staying and the sound. It is not a DX machine but as a second tuner, it would fill the bill.

The problems? It drifts. After keeping it on for 48 hours, it settled down a bit but after eight hours of listening, the VFO started to drift again. The tuning knob is broken but it should not be too difficult to glue together. Neither the signal strength meter nor the tuning meter work. I can live without these.

My dilemma is whether to send it to Magnum Dynalab for repair or live with these problems.

Check with MD and get a quote for an alignment. They can also go over the entire unit for a couple hundred bucks. Double check their site, they had prices posted for upgrades and service.

Check with MD and get a quote for an alignment. They can also go over the entire unit for a couple hundred bucks. Double check their site, they had prices posted for upgrades and service.
Thanks for the tip. They can do it for about $200 including shipping. I am leaning toward shipping the tuner to them.

Ed

I recently got an MD-101A for my main system listening. I was listening to FM radio on a table radio but after trying an old Kenwood receiver I realized that FM broadcasts are very high quality and an upgrade was warranted. Also, I am very fortunate that we have a very good radio station in the New Orleans area (WWOZ 90.7, wwoz.org) that plays music that I like without commercials unless you count announcements. I must say that I am prejudiced because my daughter is a DJ at the station...

I recently got an MD-101A for my main system listening. I was listening to FM radio on a table radio but after trying an old Kenwood receiver I realized that FM broadcasts are very high quality and an upgrade was warranted. Also, I am very fortunate that we have a very good radio station in the New Orleans area (WWOZ 90.7, wwoz.org) that plays music that I like without commercials unless you count announcements. I must say that I am prejudiced because my daughter is a DJ at the station...
Great station, great tuner. Congratulations on a pick up that will entertain you for many years.

I have a local station with a similar format, WDNA 88.9. I have an FT101 that sounds wonderful.

Enjoy in good health!

just snagged a FT-101 off semi-local CL, sounds quite good but the tuning gets scratchy when close to a station, and the multipath and signal centering metes don't appear to be working. any thoughts, and does anyone have a service manual?

thanks in advance.

just snagged a FT-101 off semi-local CL, sounds quite good but the tuning gets scratchy when close to a station, and the multipath and signal centering metes don't appear to be working. any thoughts, and does anyone have a service manual?

thanks in advance.
How's your antenna?
My MD90 with an omni outdoor antenna had clean reception issues until I cleaned up the (outdoor) connectors and rotated the antenna slightly.

i have a small, decent indoor antenna currently that allows me to pick up the two strongest stations in the area pretty clearly. nonetheless, the scratchiness with getting them fine tuned remains. i know this model uses a "varactor" instead of the mechanical variable capacitance tuning mechanism such as in my Nikko Gamma 1 that i sprayed with tuner cleaner/lube to resolve a similar issue. is this varactor amenable to such treatment? if so, great, and i would then proceed with a full re-cap since this model dates from around 1985. i think the sound quality is slightly better than the Nikko

nice to see a dedicated MD thread... I love my Etude, sounds as good as it looks!....

Attachments

• 20180710_215816.jpg
    20180710_215816.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180710_215101.jpg
    20180710_215101.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 25
I had a Signal Sleuth some years back. It was more trouble than it was worth in my opinion and didn’t do all that much for me so I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom