Making a Clock Out of an Old Turntable?

Teej

I have an old Pioneer TT that is way beyond repair, and I've decided to turn it into a clock. I've seen a bunch of examples online and they turn out pretty cool. Does anyone here have experience with a project like this?

My initial thought was how in the world would I be able to slow the platter down from 33 1/3 RPM to 1 RPM.

LOL - I'll be removing the motor/circuitry entirely and using a replacement clock mechanism.

Also, what record should I put on there?

LOL - I'll be removing the motor/circuitry entirely and using a replacement clock mechanism.

Also, what record should I put on there?
Cool plan, I have thought of doing this myself with an old junker. Perhaps side one of DSOTM would be appropriate? :D

Removed the guts and now waiting for the paint to dry

Attachments

• IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 91
Great, now comes the debate as to which turntable clock is better, direct, belt or idle drive!
WELL clearly a belt drive clock will have the lowest rumble, oh man I sure hope that clock is manual and not Semi-Automatic or heaven forbid, FULL AUTO!

Here's my list of demands for an ideal clock kit listed in order of necessity:

- extra long post (has to go through the top of the deck, the platter, and a record - haven't measured yet but it'll have to be super long - if I can't find this, the whole project is over)
- battery operated (no wires would be ideal)
- silent as possible

Haven't found one I would deem perfect....yet. Recommendations would be great. :idea:

If you can't find a clock movement long enough, just jigsaw a giant hole in the center of the platter, screw it down to the base with screws. Mount the clock directly to the record and glue the record to the platter.

Oh, and cut a big hole in the back for battery replacement.

Last edited:
It was a pioneer PL 600. Now it's a pile of guts .

Attachments

• IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 54
Today (hopefully) I plan to cut a hole in the top of the deck as well as the aluminum platter. I will be mounting the mechanism directly to the record and cutting another hole in the back of the unit to access the battery. Clock mechanism is en route! Hope to be done this week...

The hard stuff is done! Now for some glueing and waiting for the mechanism to arrive and we are ticking...

Attachments

• IMG_3694.JPG
    IMG_3694.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom