Making bacon....The downside

Henry Kloss

Since I got my smoker for Christmas, I've done up about 100 lbs. of bacon. All I have to show for it is about 10 lbs. in the freezer and a hoard of happy friends and relatives. The downside is, everyone thinks I can supply all their bacon needs for money.
I enjoy making bacon, but I'm up to about 15 lbs. or 1 batch every 2 weeks to keep up with demand. It's too much work.
The moral of the story is. If you decide to make bacon, don't tell anyone. It's too late for me, save yourselves.

Some pics. of my last batch.

This is a whole belly meat side, that's my big chefs knife for comparison.

016.JPG

This is fat side, skin removed.

017.JPG

Painted with maple syrup and ready to go into the smoker.

034.JPG

In the smoker for 8 hours
037.JPG 039.JPG
Above is my smoker with the cold smoke attachment. It lets me keep the temp down to 80 to 90 degrees. This way I can smoke for longer without cooking the bacon.

as a certified bacon accountant, i would advise you to increase your prices and expand your operation. do not let silly notions of "family" or "friends" stand in the way of your bacon wealth

I'd say they have to help on a Saturday to do all the work.....for yours also while you sit on a stool ! Just remind them of the old saying....."you can give a man to fish (a slab of bacon) or you can teach him how to fish (smoke his own bacon) and he'll eat (smoke his own bacon) forever" !

Then again how can anyone eat that much bacon and live to see sixty ????

9d52f4547a5e69c7b83717c84eeacb2b.jpg

Where do you find the meat? I presume at some kind of specialty meat place. I've never seen that cut in a grocery store. Also that is some seriously meaty bacon.

I feel your pain, I'll be making 36 pounds of pulled pork tomorrow and I probably won't get more than 1 or 2 sandwiches lol

Funny how many parties I got invited to after I learned how to make decent BBQ lol

I feel your pain, I'll be making 36 pounds of pulled pork tomorrow and I probably won't get more than 1 or 2 sandwiches lol

Funny how many parties I got invited to after I learned how to make decent BBQ lol
My daughter sort of convinced me to make pulled pork for her graduation party at my ex's house. (I'll need booze and therapy once the day is over. :D ) Thing is, I don't know how many pork shoulders to get. I can fit four on the smoker easily, perhaps as many as six if they aren't too large. Around 100 were invited--no idea how many will show up to eat (it is an open house). There will be a lot of other sides, like potato salads, cole slaw, macaroni salad, mac & cheese, etc. I did a big 13 pounder a few weeks ago and forgot to weigh it after smoking (and after sliding the bone out), to see how much weight it lost in the process. I would almost count on half a pound per person.

Gotta be something on the web about how to estimate portions for pulled pork. If I was closer I'd volunteer to help you out. And test the quality for you too. :bigok:

Back
Top Bottom