Making sense of recent recordings.

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
In the past few months I have tried to catalog most of my software. I had to start because a friend sent me 700 CDs he was done with. In two footlockers about 18x12x7 in hanging files. What did I have? Made a list alphabetized and started listening. Lots new to me.

On to the tapes, 30+ 10½" reels at 7½ips with albums recorded back in the day. Long enough ago that I had used a typewriter to produce an index of what was on each tape, artist-album-songs. I had also added about 30 more reels including 10 empties that I have just grabbed an recorded as needed. Unfortunately these were not noted as to what was on them. All tapes are numbered and the older tape's indexes have been photographed and OCRed and retyped in a doc, easy to use on the computer or the printed page in each tape and a master index.

But what is on those 10 newer tapes, I know the albums but on which tape. Having to go through those and make the list complete so I can start recording again. Did a good bit of that today and I'll say one thing, that recently recapped and electrically tuned machine sounds great. Been enjoying this.

What was the last tape you listened to...Well about 5 of em today. A few more to go as I 'fluff and fold' my reel collection to make it more convenient to use. This is enjoyable work for sure.

Pink Floyd-Delicate Sound of Thunder
Ricky Lee Jones-
The Alan Parsons Project-Eye in the Sky
Sade-Love Deluxe
Suzanne Vega-Solitude Standing

Still more to find and make a note of which tape and which side. This leaves lots of tape for recording, just need to know which ones.

Back
Top Bottom