Man.. talk about money burning a hole in my pocket..

I had $1700 in credit at the local hi-fi shop and really needed some speakers. Of the lines he carries (Martin Logan, Energy, Atlantic Tech, and Polk) I like the Energy's the most, especially the Veritas line.

After taking the Veritas 2.1 bookshelves home I thought they were a bit shy in the upper midrange area and noticed the 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 got rave reviews. The difference was that they all have the additional 2" metal dome midrange that the 2.1 lacks. The 2.3 was even given a Golden Ear award. Cost on the 2.3's is around $1350 and our deal was cost plus 10% so for a little over $1400 I brought them home. They are new, still sealed in the box and DAMN am I wanting to rip the boxes open and begin breaking them in..

Hence the problem. Im sure I "could" return them if I didnt like em, but Id rather not do that. I heard the 2.3's in the shop and they sounded beautiful although a bit bright from the metal dome tweeters but they were being run on all solid state gear and my tube preamp should be here Friday and that would definately smooth them out a bit. Ive had an offer of $1500-$1600 for them if I dont open them so Im trying to decide what to do. Ive been eyeballing the Triangle Celius speakers and can get a pair for around $1500. but since Ive never heard them Id hate to get them and then wish Id kept the Veritas.. man sometimes this hobby is frustrating ; )

Tim

Could you not sell the pair you have and then buy another $1400 pair and pocket the $200 or was this a one time sale?

Tim

Sounds to me like your chasing your tail............One of days you might catch it. :rolleyes:

grumpy

Tim,
there's always gonna be that elusive, unheard, well-reviewed speaker that'll drive you crazy wondering about it. Sounds like you're fairly confident the Veritas would work well in your system, and it's a real plus having the local dealer connection should something come up in the future.

TY

Yes

Afer having close to hundreds of pieces of gear come through my hands I have caught my tail. My system has basically stayed the same for a long time ( since before I even started selling ). I only added a Newer 1990 vintage TT to replace my 1975 model. Aside from that I added a Denon cassette deck Oh maybe a year ago. you on the other hand change gear faster then we can keep up

:p:

Thats about to slow WAY down though.. Movign into a new house next month and Christmas around the corner.. In fact this tube preamp was my last expensive purchase till after the first of the year. If I decide to change my mind, my girlfriend will be sure to remind me lol.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom