Man, that was loud!

kaplang

Works for me !
Last night I wanted to listed to a cassette tape that I found at a yard sale (Their Satanic Majesties Request). I don't listen to cassettes that often so I had to pull my player out of the closet. I plugged it into the AUX inputs of my Marantz 2325, put in the tape and hit play. For some reason that I didn't want to figure out why I had to turn the volume all the way up on my receiver to listen to the tape. The volume all the way up only gave me minimal volume but it was loud enough to listen. After listening I turned off the receiver and put the cassette player back in the closet

This morning I turned on the receiver and switched the selector from AUX to FM and forgot to turn the volume down.. Will I'm sure you know what happened. Both of my speakers got hit with an instant 100 + watts and it scared the begesis! out of me till I realized what I had done. I immediately turned down the volume and listened to see if it caused any speaker damage. Didn't hear anything so I guess I got lucky.

Haha man, what I perceived in my head reading your post was instant chaos. I bet that did scare the begesis out of you.

Had that happen to me at least once, in the middle of the night. Was testing a Dynaco PAT-4 preamp I'd recently acquired to drive my then-new-to-me McIntosh MC2120 power amp. I could hear a light crackle in the speakers with the volume cranked, so I decided to see if it was present on all inputs. I started on the high level inputs, then moved to the low-level ones, and as soon as I switched from "TAPE" to "TUNER", I had Rolling Stones "Miss You" playing at full blast from my Scott 197B II speakers! :eek: I quickly switched inputs, and looked at the front panel of the MC2120 just in time to see the red "POWER GUARD" lamps fading out, and the green "NORMAL" lamps coming back on. In a way, I tested two devices that night.......... :oops:
-Adam

I like that my amp allows me to set the volume level for power-up. If I hear no sound, I don't touch the volume control, I already know it is at an audible, slightly low, listening level, and have been able to train Christine to check inputs rather than turn up in the event she hears no sound. So I've never experienced an unexpected blast-off with this rig, but have done so a couple times in the past with other gear. Scares the crap out of you.

I rarely use 16 pair of speakers at once but it can be good for some things, so. Anyway I managed to run the little 80 watt JVC through all of them full volume instant on. The JVC loaded up nicely then let the power through to the speakers when the relay closed. The speaker selectors match the load to the amp and the speakers absorbed every last watt with no trouble at all. It was a shock I'll not forget. It was beyond audibility. I didn't realize what had happened. I thought it was an explosion. This went on for about 3 seconds.
Eighty little watts is all you'll ever need.

It happens to everyone at one time or another,myself included. I make it a habit now at shutdown to lower my pre-amp volume. It is an experience first of shock and then instant worry that you just blew something up. :yikes:

choir_picture23054401_std.jpg

I think we have all have been here.

I was listening to empty input noise on my Pioneer SX-737. Volume all the way up with my Sennheiser headphones on my ears. Turned through the inputs and hit FM... My hands never traveled so quickly to the power switch before in my life! Hahaha!

Like most, I've done it too. I do always turn down the volume for just that reason. Just an idea but perhaps check the Output level on your cassette deck. It may be at it lowest level.

MIC

It happens to everyone at one time or another,myself included.

Yes, it is a rite of passage.

You might have had the tape deck output plugged into the record output on the 2325

My car unit has soft volume start as it returns to the previous setting in a ramp taking enough time to stop it from going up further just by turning the volume a bit.

Back
Top Bottom