Mansfield TG60R...

knockbill

Lunatic Member
I picked this guitar up yesterday at a local radio show,,, it looked pretty cool and seemed to be priced too cheap to pass up!!! I little searching shows it to be made in early 70's, as it has a "Made in Japan" sticker on it...This link has a picture and info on it... http://jedistar.com/mansfield/

Seems it was made by an early builder of Ibanez, and sold thru a retailer in Canada... Also, there is some controversy about it being a "lawsuit guitar" It has 3 nylon high strings,,, and 3 steel low strings,,, like the one pictured in the link... so I'm guessing that's how they were built? if anyone has any more info on it, its heritage, etc,, I'd like to hear it...
Its the first acoustic I've owned,,, seems to hold a tuning and play well... Here's a pic of mine for comparison, looks exactly the same...
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PC180027.JPG
    PC180027.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PC180028.JPG
    PC180028.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
Actually,it was sold by Peates music,a Montreal operation.I'm not sure,but I think they're still in business.The Mansfield classical guitars ( bronze lower/nylon upper strings;do not EVER install steel strings on this guitar) were prolific in these parts.Really inexpensive, well made,stayed in tune,easy action and sounded great.They also had steel-stringed models,and an incredible sounding twelve.I grew up on these!

I tell ya John,this was the first guitar I ever played. Damned near everybody in Verdun had one of these; house parties,down at the river,in the parks,on the balconies,it was a Mansfield festival! Despite being a bass player,I think I can still play every CSNY tune to this day......

I'll never forget Doc (Doug Taylor,the man who taught me how to play bass properly,RIP) stuffing his Mansfield nylon-string into the already full trunk of his Fury III and banging down the lid until it finally closed.Tough guitar,and one hell of a bass player:)

I answered your post earlier,, must have forgot to post it,,, really gettin old!! Thanks for replying, Art,, I was hoping you would see this thread...

I found some more info on this guitar, seems the pictures in the link in the first thread are of this guitar! There is a small dent on the face of it, and the string knots are identical,,, There is also a 1972 date hand written inside it, so it probably was made in the Ibanez plant,,, I can't date the link, tho... I've been playing it off and on since I got it, and its just as you described, easy action, and really does sound nice... I found a set of correct strings for it,,, they should arrive this week...

Thanks again for your info,, sorry the other reply got lost,,, I always appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom