Manufacturers who didn't produce a monster receiver..

steveUK

In my quest to identify and maybe locate high powered (c85W/ch and above), so called 'monster' receivers, I have been perusing data sites looking at specs. From what I can see, Aiwa never really entered the receiver wars battle. They had the AX-7800 rated at 60w/ch and that was about it power wise - to my knowledge. They also had the AX-7600 that kinda looked the part, but it was only rated at 40w/ch. It got me thinking, were there any other major players who did not make a receiver of say 85w/ch minimum? I'm struggling to find another!

A few come to mind. Harman Kardon had separates in their line for higher power but I don't recall a Receiver more than 80 watts (Citation was around there but pretty pricey for that power). Tandberg and B&O were not as heavily invested in the US market and may not have even considered the need to produce higher power equipment.

Advent
Bang Olufsen
Harman Kardon
Tandberg
Toshiba

Some data I would find interesting is what was the number of units with more than 100 watts to total sold. Suggesting whether the cost in production, supply channel and promotion was worth the effort? So, how many Pioneer 1250 (160rms) v. 750 (50 rms) at more than twice the price. I am sure these top end models cut into the retailer's working capital who were selling a lot more models in the 40-85 watt range.

I would guess company's like Sanyo and Hitachi, they always seemed bargin priced gear to me

Yeah, Tandberg. I too have the TR2080, rated at a conservative 75w/ch by Tandberg, but proven in a respected British hifi test lab to push out 101w/ch/8 ohms (both channels driven), and 132w from a single channel driven into 4 ohms. That's a lot of conservation..

Aiwa was a portables and tape machine company and didn't offer 100+ wpc until an AV receiver. Nothing wrong with that.

a/d/s/, advent and a few others, I'd guess did not offer an >85watter. Many of the separates manufacturers didn't go there either. They knew the way to go was more than one chassis.

A few come to mind. Harman Kardon had separates in their line for higher power but I don't recall a Receiver more than 80 watts (Citation was around there but pretty pricey for that power). Tandberg and B&O were not as heavily invested in the US market and may not have even considered the need to produce higher power equipment.

Advent
Bang Olufsen
Harman Kardon
Tandberg
Toshiba

Some data I would find interesting is what was the number of units with more than 100 watts to total sold. Suggesting whether the cost in production, supply channel and promotion was worth the effort? So, how many Pioneer 1250 (160rms) v. 750 (50 rms) at more than twice the price. I am sure these top end models cut into the retailer's working capital who were selling a lot more models in the 40-85 watt range.

Toshiba built Monsters. See SA-7150.

Lafayette.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/lafayette/lr-120db.shtml

1979203.jpg

(borrowed image)

(none from) Bang Olufsen
Beomaster 8000, 100wpc.
Yeah, Tandberg. I too have the TR2080, rated at a conservative 75w/ch by Tandberg, but proven in a respected British hifi test lab to push out 101w/ch/8 ohms (both channels driven), and 132w from a single channel driven into 4 ohms. That's a lot of conservation..
Almost every 75-85wpc unit will do 101wpc/8Ω because by the time the 2080 came out the US required 1 hour of 1/3 power conditioning before the power test. This rode the amp very hard, as hard as possible it turns out, then the power was determined. Common for all gear to go 10-35% over rated power for a simple power test. Even more if only one channel was driven. Today I call that the difference between the specification and the bench test power, to keep them separate. Folks always want to quote the highest number they have ever seen...just like fishing...that salmon was a good 32-pounder for one that barely tipped the scales at 20 pounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom