Marantz 18M Speakers worth reforming?

corpblues

AK Member
i missed a 2230b by minutes at an estate sale but I did pick up this pair of 18M speakers. I've been unable to find any information on them.

Are these worth spending the money to buy a refoam kit?

IMG_3569.JPG IMG_3572.JPG IMG_3574.JPG

I always thought Marantz made a better than average speaker. Not the TOTL in speakers but neither did McIntosh, Sansui or Pioneer. For the cost of replacement I would reform them.

Also if you can do rotate the speakers 180 degrees when you reinstall them. Keeps some of the sage off the voice coil.

I would say, it depends what it is worth to you.
I wouldn't do it.
The spider usually needs replacing too + the medium and tweeter are also very old... so overall the speakers won't sound great and won't be any near how they sounded originally. Not that they much good new.
The woofers, mediums and tweeters, are quite mediocre. look at those cheap connectors at the back!!
Marantz just made them so they could offer the full spectrum and audio products
Having said this, they do look nice.

just my opinion

I know this thread is 4yrs old now but was curious if you decided to replace the surrounds. I have a pair of 18M’s as well that were given to me because they needed repaired that I’ve had for years just sitting in my basement. I have removed all of the old foam and glue already and I’m currently just waiting for the surrounds to come in the mail. So if you decided to do the repairs on these, how did it turn out and do you like the sound?

Here they are in all their glory with cobwebs and all! I’ll post an updated pic when they’re restored.

Attachments

• 55690792-B920-40E7-AFA5-0FE9B0DB7AC7.jpeg
    55690792-B920-40E7-AFA5-0FE9B0DB7AC7.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 9
  • CA26DADE-3971-4F80-9D0B-A085C906A403.jpeg
    CA26DADE-3971-4F80-9D0B-A085C906A403.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 9
Understandable! I’ll probably sell these also, but a nice little project to learn on. Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom