Marantz 2240 start up issue

Mrcschapin

Hi all,
I just purchased a Marantz 2240 and I’m having some issues. When I turn power on lights come on, but amp is slow to power up and usually hums with no power to the speakers. I have determined that the hum is the relay located behind the power switch. It is “chattering”. If I tap the caps on the same circuit board, the relay makes contact and all is well. Im sure I could get the same result tapping the relay. I’m assuming the caps are the issue. I was planning on changing them rigardless of this issue, but could it be anything else? Is there a better place to start looking? Thanks for any help. Cheers.

Try resoldering where the caps are soldered to the circuit board. It sure sounds like an intermittent connection of some sort. Also resolder the relay.

Since you say it works fine after you tap it, it certainly sounds like bad connections because if there were a problem or bad part, it would most likely not work even if you tapped it or hit it pretty good.

Maybe it started acting up with the previous owner and to get it to behave, he would have to give it a good whack. Kinda reminds me of when I used to smack our old black & white tv when it would begin to flip. I was a kid when I did this but now I know that smacking something would just make it worse and it would need to be repaired properly.

C807, 10uf/50V, is probably bad, it's the filter capacitor for the relay circuit. DO NOT put anything larger than 10uf in, it needs to be small so the voltage collapses immediately when the receiver is turned off.

Craig

C807, 10uf/50V, is probably bad, it's the filter capacitor for the relay circuit. DO NOT put anything larger than 10uf in, it needs to be small so the voltage collapses immediately when the receiver is turned off.

Craig
Thanks, I just ordered some caps and transistors. I’ll start tinkering when they show up.

you should look in the service manual and check the power supply voltage setting and the amp adjustments.

the manual should be at hifiengine.com and.ir probably in out AK database.

check the Marantz manual error thread in the Marantz forum to see if there are any mistakes to be aware of in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom