[Marantz 2252b] Balance knob is bleeding signal into the wrong channel -- wat do?

scud133

I just picked up a clean and minty Marantz 2252b and I've noticed that the balance control is behaving a little wonky. This issue shows up on both speakers and headphones and with any source.

Pan it all the way right, and you can still hear a faint buzz in the left channel (on any source). Pan it all the way left, and you can still hear the audio signal in the right channel, although very faint and heavily filtered. It seems like something within the circuit is definitely affecting the sound here.

The pot is also scratchy and needs to be cleaned, fwiw.

Could this just be an issue with the pot? Or a dying capacitor? Not sure where to start looking.

Last edited:
Update: If I engage the Mono button, then the pan pot behaves exactly as it should. The issues only show up when the receiver is trying to produce a stereo signal.

I have a similar issue on Marantz 4400 quad. Front channels signal is audible from rear speakers in discrete mode when I turn the volume down to or near zero. Real bugger, since I often listen at night (read: low volume) and the rears are much closer to my listening position than fronts. Well, I hope that cleaning helps, more pots to go through on 4400 though :(

Deoxit did the trick. Sprayed it in all the pots and worked em back and forth several times. Now they're back to normal!

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom