Marantz 2270 & 2230 in Japan

John_H

Hi I recently moved to Japan and brought my Marantz 2270 & 2230 with me. Once I got everything hook up here I noticed that I could not tune any FM stations. I did a little looking around on the internets and found out that in Japan they use a different set of frequencies for FM. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could have either of Marantz receivers adjusted to work with Japanese FM frequencies.

Thanks,
John

might it not be easier to buy a new or used tuner so that if you move back you don't have to have the tuners fixed again?

It's not the frequencies, the Marantz units have continuously variable tuning. Do some research on de-emphasis for different countries. Still, you should hear the stations. Antenna hooked up? Did you account for the different line voltage, I think Japan is 100V? Along that line, does the aux in or phono work fine?

Interesting, so de-emphasis from what I read would affect the sound not the ability to tune in and receive the signals. I do have an antenna hooked up and all the other inputs work fine on my both receivers. I get nothing with muting switch engaged, but with it out its just mostly static with few blips on the signal strength meter and some weird sounds.

On another note, You are correct on the 100vac here in Japan, and it has caused problems with 2270. I just finished a total re-cap re-lamp etc. and was having the problem with the speaker protection relay not engaging, which I had prior to the recap. I got a 1000w 100vac to 120vac converter to try and solve that. But turned out that my amp boards were pretty wasted and would not bias properly. Im getting ready to send my amp boards to IRM and him rebuild them for me, as my attempt to rebuild them failed :( Im a little nervous sending them out but don't have much choice.

I will continue looking for a solution on the tuner and the de-emphasis issues.
and thank you for the reply I really do appreciate it!!!

John

Back
Top Bottom