Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

Yes, i was also unaware of a lower number (for 2270 series). Also, no other metal cover like this one as well, though imagine both to exist. I wonder if any have the face plate edge defect this one does? At any rate, good luck with your survey.

#2202 - Champagne, (chassis, too), smooth, engraved/stamped or whatever.
DSCN9972.JPG

DSCN9973.JPG

I know the knobs/buttons don't look Champagne but it's the lighting. Not good pictures. I just came across this thread and I had these pics. The unit is 100% completely original except for the dial string which was replaced. The knobs, faceplate, everything is excellent. I will get another picture later. Everything works beautiful. Sounds fine.

Very nice unit and thank you for responding to my survey! FYI all the knobs with the champagne models are still the standard silver, they blend in with the Champagne face plate. I just hooked up mine today again in my office, wow wonderful sound

My latest unit is the 2500. Incredible looking and fantastic sound. You really have to have the right speakers for all that power.

Looks wise the engraved 2270's are so unique and IMHO remain the best looking!

FYI all the knobs with the champagne models are still the standard silver,

The g/e's that I own have more gold in their knobs than the later non g/e's. It's hard to nail down exact details as to what/when happened on what/when date as there are so many transitional pieces like the silver/engraved and the gold/silkscreened. I'm sure the knobs got lighter during that time also. Also, on many of these old pieces, the face of these knobs could get pretty scratched up due to the way people carry them with the front of the units rubbing against the buttons and zippers of their shirts and jackets. I wouldn't be surprised if someone would have replaced their scratched knobs with some nice later ones.

Appreciate the work you a doing on the gathering of information about these special units.

Here is a picture I got off the internet that I have been using to show friends the difference. Might be good to have here in this thread.

2270-15.jpg

When I get my silver engraved unit back I will move some knobs between my champagne unit and see if there is a difference. From owning both units I don't believe there was a difference believe it or not. But my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be.

Thank you for your support in this thread. To me this is Marantz history that needs to be done while the vintage gear is popular. I was hoping some former Marantz executives or dealers would chime in as well.

If I can just get some more information on the gaps I noted I can pin this down pretty good. But I will say the 4,000 production run appears to be accurate on the 2270.

For you folks who do not know the difference between a champagne engraved face and the standard production face plate, here is a comparison.

The champagne engraved faceplate is the receiver on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 88
Just an interesting update on the survey.

1. Most of my research data is from watching E-Bay sales. So please keep the info coming on this site to supplement my research.

2. Out of the 57 engraved units I have documented, 51/57 (89.47%) are Champagne engraved. Only 6/57 (10.53%) are Silver engraved.

3. My sample size (57/4000) is only 1.42%. I have many gaps, especially in the 3,000-5,000 range in the survey. However, I defn know the Silver engraved units did not appear until the appropriate 2600 +/- area. Then they appear mixed in from 3,400 to 5,000 range.

Summary-Because of the gaps I don't know what was made in them. The Silver engraved units right now could be as high as 35.60% of the total if they were all made in the gaps. I don't think that is the case. I believe it will be much closer to the 10.53% number I'm seeing from the actual units I have tracked. Again, please keep the info coming so this bit of history can be completed. Thank you all, Dennis.

For the OP, I didn't know if you had this one in your survey or not, but a champagne face 2270, S/N 1709 just came up on Dallas Craigslist. Too rich for my blood, but thought I would bring it to your attention.
Steve

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/6061463544.html

Thank you for your input. Strange but the lower serial number units 1000-3000 appear from all sources far more frequently than the 3000-5000 range pieces. Out of the 60+ units actually documented less than 10% are silver compared to the 35% it could be from the data gaps. I'll keep plugging away till I fill in the gaps.

Interestingly, I also wonder how many European faceplate units were made. I have only seen originals on the 2285B (own one).
Never saw one on anything else. Not sure if the 2385 with the partial black background on the radio tuning section and radio centering and signal strength meters counts was a "European model or just a cosmetic change for one year.

For the OP, I didn't know if you had this one in your survey or not, but a champagne face 2270, S/N 1709 just came up on Dallas Craigslist. Too rich for my blood, but thought I would bring it to your attention.
Steve

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/6061463544.html

That's about the regular price for a 2270 without the wood case and regular silver faceplate up this way. Most would consider this a deal around these parts.

That's about the regular price for a 2270 without the wood case and regular silver faceplate up this way. Most would consider this a deal around these parts.
It's certainly a reasonable price if it's in good physical shape. I just don't want one that bad. If it needed work and was $400 I would jump on it.

9/17 Marantz 2270 engraved faceplate survey update.

1. It appears the long held belief that the engraved faceplates (champagne and silver) were made between serial numbers 1,000-5,000 for a total of 4,000 units is true.

2. Silver engraved units are indeed a rare bird as I have only 6 confirmed units out of a total of 66 from my survey. Champagne engraved units in my survey now numbers at 60 out of 66. Therefore, silver engraved units account for only 9.09% (6/66) of known units.

3. I still have gaps in my numbers as expected since I have only a 1.65% sample size. Most of the larger remaining gaps are between 3328-3566, 4201-4516, 4600 and 4900-5000. Because of the gaps the silver engraved units total could be as high as 25%. However, I still believe it will end up around 10% +|-.

So again if you have a champagne or silver engraved 2270 please forward the serial # to me and indicate if champagne or silver engraved. There is a photo in the beginning of this thread that shows the difference between the two. Of course an engraved unit has the entire front face plate engraved compared to the normal smooth lettering of the later models if your not sure what you have. Thank you again for any help.

Good reminder! I have one at home in for a rebuild and will update this thread after work.

Champagne and S/N 3327 - oops, already posted this one!

Last edited:
Came across an engraved 2270 at my local used audio warehouse. I forgot to write it down so will go back if the building is still standing in a few days. Wish me luck with this hurricane!

Back
Top Bottom