Marantz 2270 w/black faceplate

It looks so much better than the vinyl in my opinion. Nice job on the powder coat. My 2265 has a black metal case that looks factory??? Not sure if all the 2265's are the same or someone painted it after the fact. At any rate, your 2245 looks great all black.

When I got the receiver (and a 5220 cassette deck), they were both covered with the most God-awful paint imaginable. The powdercoating guys sandblasted(?) the old paint and vinyl off before they did their thing.
I found a place in my area to powdercoat but will not prep and I am being told sandblasting will warp the cover thats why I'm asking.

I said "sandblasting" only because that was the only analogy I could think of. I'd have to double-check with them to verify if that is indeed what they used to cut through the weird paint and the original vinyl underneath. They did both sides of the case for $25 and offered 3 or 4 blacks from dull to shiny. I picked Matte Black.

IMG_5217.PNG
I found a place in my area to powdercoat but will not prep and I am being told sandblasting will warp the cover thats why I'm asking.
Maybe go on to Marantz 19 Instagram "TMZ2"
and contact the person he uses. ?

I wish he did a black faceplate for the Pioneer RT-707.

There use to be a guy that made them but apparently they stopped.

18432329255_a0c31d5da4_k.jpg
Taylor - Where did you find this? Suggestions on where to find one just like it? Thanks! Ben

I just bought a black faceplate for my 4270 from Bob. I'm thinking of one of those high gloss German WC-2 cases although mine is in really good shape...

Hopefully it won't be too hard for me to change the faceplate myself.

Please use a piece of plastic wrap (or something similar) on the head of the nut driver you use to remove and reinstall the face plate bolts. This will help prevent tool marks on the faces.

Tom

Here's what mine will look like IF I can ever get it off the bench. I also got the case powder coated so it all looks sweet!

View attachment 1012938
@thxdave, your photo of the black 2245 has been in the back of my mind for a year and a half. Moving and remodeling three houses has kept me out of the audio workshop for about two years. I’m back up and running and about finished with a full recap of a 2245 I started two years ago. I have one of Bob Speece’s black faceplates and today I talked to a local powder coater who says he can strip my metal case and powder coat it. He says he has nine different black finishes and one of them goes particularly well with black anodized aluminum. I’m going in Monday to see what he has. If it looks anywhere near as nice as your pic when it’s done, I’ll be thrilled.

I've been stalled on my 2245 ever since the photo was taken. Not sure what's stopping me other than fear of screwing it up. I wish Leestereo lived nearby so he could kick me in the butt. ;-)
How much did they quote you for the powdercoating? I think my guys regretted giving me such a good deal as they will never be rid of me!! Good luck with yours.

I've been stalled on my 2245 ever since the photo was taken. Not sure what's stopping me other than fear of screwing it up. I wish Leestereo lived nearby so he could kick me in the butt. ;-)
How much did they quote you for the powdercoating? I think my guys regretted giving me such a good deal as they will never be rid of me!! Good luck with yours.
They didn’t want to give me a quote until they see it. I’m taking it Monday, so kind of holding my breath. Get after that 2245! Only boards left on mine are the stacked AM and FM boards. I’ve already removed wires to get the top board flippable, so hopefully can get some progress this weekend.

Took my metal case to the powder coater today. Their minimum job cost is $85, which covers nearly any smallish item. But it doesn’t include removal of the old vinyl cover without significant extra cost. So I took it home hoping a heat gun would remove the vinyl. It didn’t. At all. But I had a quart of a pretty hot paint stripper, so I gave it a chance. Nothing happened after about five minutes and I thought I was SOL. But I kept applying, and after about 15 minutes, the cover started bubbling up. I probably kept working on it for another 15 minutes and was able to peel the whole thing off almost in one piece. The metal was pristine, and I was able to see a couple of dents that I hadn’t seen before. So I worked on it for a few minutes with an auto body hammer and dolly and got rid of those. It cost a little more than I hoped, but much less than a wood case. I plan on the unit being displayed without a case, so I’m OK with the cost. Should get it next week, so am anxious to see how it looks.

Back
Top Bottom