Marantz 4270 input

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Zach Nelson, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Zach Nelson

Zach Nelson New Member

I am considering buying a Marantz 4270 from a local friend. He did a full restoration on it. I am new to the Marantz world. Will this be a good 2 channel experience. I understand that it was built with the Quad system as its highlight. Just looking for experienced opinion. I've heard it is similar to the the 2270. Will it be as warm as most Marantz? Thanks in advance

Please register to disable this ad.

2. smokenguns22

smokenguns22 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use the 4270 as my daily driver in stereo mode
    I also have a 2220 and a 2275.
    I love the my restored 4270 sounds, would trade it for anything. The 2220 is my second favorite sounding, even at lower watts-with hi efficiency speakers it's sounds great. To me, it has a sound of its own to all the Marantz's of that era.
    Enjoy the 4270

3. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Be sure you never switch between 2-channel mode and 4-channel mode while powered up. Bad things happen. The 4270 is a gorgeous unit with great sound. :thumbsup:

N8Nagel likes this.
  4. MacNoob

MacNoob dazed and confused

Another yes for the 4270. Received one from the neighbour awhile back as "not working". An couple hours of cleaning controls and adjusting DC offset and I love it.

5. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

OK. I have a Sony Walkman cassette player I'll trade you for it. Send me your info and I'll get it in the mail post haste.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  6. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Another +1 on the 4270. You can run it in two channel mode and it's a 75WPC stereo receiver. also has pre-outs so you can set up a big power quad system; I'm actually thinking of doing that as soon as I get my HK 775s sorted, thinking of using the 4270's internal amp in 75WPC stereo mode for the front channels and a HK 770 65WPC stereo amp for the rears.

The only real downside to the 4270 is that if you want to use it for quad it has neither SQ nor CD-4 capability built in, you need an external CD-4 decoder and a SQA-xx decoder card that slots in the bottom of the unit for SQ. It will decode QS ("Vario-Matrix") natively. It also has built in Dolby which is mostly useless these days.

Please register to disable this ad.