Marantz 4400 Multi-Voltage Model, need to convert from 220v to 110v

santacruztv

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi guys, I haven't been able to find the documentation on how to re-wire the power transformer leads for running on US 110v. It is currently set for 220v The service manual I have is for the US only version. See pics below.

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_6584.JPG
    IMG_6584.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6585.JPG
    IMG_6585.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 81
Wowzers! That things needs some cleaning. I would clean all the ground connections that you possibly can before putting this into service.

I definately recommend, that you wire it for 120V. Your voltage nowadays is higher than 110V - and it will shorten the lives of the bulbs in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1838 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1838 (Custom).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1842 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1842 (Custom).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1843 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1843 (Custom).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 64
Jailtimes 4400.jpg 20190223_103201(1).jpg View attachment 1437406 Greg, I am in the process of restoring mine which was 220 volt when I purchased it while stationed in Germany in the military.
It was converted to 120 volt. I am concerned about the red wire termination which is different
than a photo of the 4400 restored by Kyle aka Jailtime. I will post that photo also.

Last edited:
I definately recommend, that you wire it for 120V. Your voltage nowadays is higher than 110V - and it will shorten the lives of the bulbs in it.
Fred please review my post, is the yellow wire the same as the red wire?
Should red wire be on the first terminal or second ?
Mine is on the second, the one Kyle aka Jailtime restored is on the first?
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
Your receiver seems to be wired for 120V according to the original (Marantz) schematics - but the red wire on the photos should have been yellow. So....the red wire in question has to be "the yellow one" on the schematic. Since there is no yellow wire at hand there, it must be the red one. So this is a very easy issue to get confused about. The red wire is the same as the yellow wire.
If you still are in doubt, you might try this with a variac and an A'meter. I recently rewired a 220V Marantz 4400 for 240V's with succes - and I remember I had the same confusion (Red/Yellow)

Last edited:
Fred please review my post, is the yellow wire the same as the red wire?
Should red wire be on the first terminal or second ?
Mine is on the second, the one Kyle aka Jailtime restored is on the first?
Thanks,
Ron

The red - blue and brown should all be connected at the first post from the right at the photo for 120V-wiring. Follow the scheme for 120V-wiring and replace the word "yellow" with "Red".
Do not touch or fiddle with the soldered wires underneath. They are correctly placed as per schema..

If you see one with the "red/yellow" wire and the brown wire connected to the second post (Green) - it is wired for 110V-operation. (You sure want to use the 120V-option.) You want to connect to the blue soldered wire. Jailtime did right for 120V-operation.

Last edited:
Thanks Fred, the conversation from 220 to 110 was done in 1976 when I returned to the US by an electronics service company in Amarillo TX
They did not move the red lead to the proper terminal. This receiver was used for many years with this error, in the process of my restoration I am thankfull
for your help. Will post pics of the restore soon.
Thanks, Ron

4400 restoration. Main Filters replaced and new bypass caps added, Power supply P800 recapped and repaired, P700s recapped, vd1212s and other transistors replaced, P 900 replaced 62k resistors & transistors,20190301_141602.jpg 20190301_185159.jpg 20190302_200454(1).jpg 20190301_152109.jpg

Attachments

• 20190302_200454(1).jpg
    20190302_200454(1).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ya I meant 120v.... I just used 110 as a figure of speech for US voltage. And yeah, this one needs some serious cleaning!

Greg

scope repair.jpg Repaired P900 today and the scope is working!! On with the restoration.

Attachments

• lamp housing .jpg
    lamp housing .jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Tom, I ordered a new lamp housing from you last month.
Excellent product, arrived in a cool triangular box.
Thanks
Ron

Excellent product, arrived in a cool triangular box.

Haha, that was purely incidental. I was out of the shipping containers I normally use and had two housings that needed to go out. Nearest thing available was a single large-ish Amazon box, and I had to get creative :)

Glad the replacement worked. That original is pretty bad!

Lurp, the most unusual parcel I have never received! Made my day, thanks for saving my restoration, no way to repair that burnt down lamp housing.
I am impressed with the members on this forum, thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom