Marantz 5020 Cassette Deck

AlTinkster92

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Guys, I have a fairly nice 5020 cassette deck that sounds dull when playing a tape. Thought I would send it of for a tune up and new lube etc. Does anyone recommend a place I could send it to? I don't mind shipping. Thanks in advance :) Al

Great deck! I used to have two of the 5020B back in '78. Wish I had bought the three head version, however. Have you cleaned and demagnetized the heads?

Blast, no I haven't, only way I know to clean the heads is with one of those tapes you run in it...seen em on the auction site but they all look older than you know what. I heard the cleaning ability of those decreases as time goes by?
Would really like to send it off if I can find a place... recap, new lube etc...

Before you send it off, make sure it's not the tape(s). Those things can go flat. Clean your head with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips.

I had a 5025B. Nice decks.

Blast, no I haven't, only way I know to clean the heads is with one of those tapes you run in it...seen em on the auction site but they all look older than you know what. I heard the cleaning ability of those decreases as time goes by?
Would really like to send it off if I can find a place... recap, new lube etc...

I don't care for those head cleaning tapes. Clean manually on a regular basis. And, if your heads are magnetized it will wipe the high fidelity out of each tape. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Get yourself a demagnetizer from the auction site.

Before you send it off, make sure it's not the tape(s). Those things can go flat. Clean your head with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips.

Agreed. Except, I would use denatured alcohol. Then, demag afterwards.

I had a 5025B. Nice decks.

Come to think of it, mine were 5025B, as well. Oh, well.

I had a Nak serviced here, a bit expensive, but the deck sounds fantastic. Thread is old and you may have moved it, but here's the info.

ELECTRONICS SERVICE LABS
1807 Berlin Turnpike
Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109 USA
By Appointment M-F 9AM to 5PM EST
Telephone 860-529-3700

Back
Top Bottom