Marantz 5025B belt replacement

And finally, the last step is to reinstall the cassette door cover.

IMG_1107.jpg

Position the cassette door cover over the black plastic cassette carrier, line up the retention tabs in their respective slots, and snap the door cover back into place. I found it was pretty easy to do by just pushing down on the top edge of the cover with my thumbs while at the same time pulling up on the bottom of the black plastic cassette carrier with my fingertips.

IMG_1106.jpg

And here are our sad, old, stretched, worn out belts.

IMG_1160.jpg

Lastly, reinstall the cover, and you're done!

Last edited:
And here is the final result of all of our hard work. A fully functional Marantz 5025B cassette deck!

IMG_1165.jpg

You couldn't have made it more clear! :thmbsp:

I'm afraid that it won't be much help with my 5120. :no:

You couldn't have made it more clear! :thmbsp:

I'm afraid that it won't be much help with my 5120. :no:

Well, I suppose you could sell your 5120 and buy a 52XX. Then it would help.:D

But more seriously, thanks for the complement. I really appreciate it.

Very informative tutorial. Thanks for posting.
I recently acquired a 5010B that has the tray slightly askew to the right.
Is there an adjustment trick to "square it back up?

Hey Now,

Great tutorial. I just changed out 2 of the 3 belts on my 5025B and couldn't figure how to replace the counter belt. It had me flummoxed. I just gave up. Now I know how to do it. Thank you very much.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Last edited:
Hey Now,

Great tutorial. I just changed out 2 of the 3 belts on my 5025B and couldn't figure how to replace the counter belt. It had me flummoxed. I just gave up. Now I know how to do it. Thank you very much.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Thanks for the complement! I really appreciate it. I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful.

Very informative tutorial. Thanks for posting.
I recently acquired a 5010B that has the tray slightly askew to the right.
Is there an adjustment trick to "square it back up?

I think you would just need to look at it closely and try to determine why it is tweaked. Was the door hit while it was open, or possibly the unit dropped, thus causing some metal parts of the carriage to be bent? If so, it may need to be twisted back to get it back into proper alignment. Or sometimes there are slotted holes in some of the parts that allow for some adjustment of one part in relation to another. If this is the case, you may be able to get the door squared back up that way. Like I said, you just have to try and determine why it is that way in the first place, and then work from there. You can be (relatively) certain though that it did not come that way from the factory, so damage of some sort is the likely cause of you misalignment.

Good luck in getting it fixed.

First of all, thank you for this thread. I just ordered belts from Vintage Electronics.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5025 and the 5025B? My 5025 looks identical, inside and out to your 5025B.

First of all, thank you for this thread. I just ordered belts from Vintage Electronics.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5025 and the 5025B? My 5025 looks identical, inside and out to your 5025B.

Thanks for your nice comments about the thread. I really appreciate it. I'm glad others are finding it useful.

I looked up both of these decks on the www.vintagecassette.com web site, and it looks to me that just about the only difference is cosmetic. The 5025 has the bolt heads on the front panel, while the 5025B does not. The production dates are listed as 1977 and 1978 for the 5025, while the production dates for the 5025B is listed as 1978. I think you may need to compare the schematics for these two units side by side to spot any other differences, which if I had to guess, would probably turn out to be minor.

Good luck with the belt install on you deck. Be sure to let us know how it goes, and especially if you find any major differences in these two units once you dig into yours.

Great, I get the belts and the flat one is at least 2" too long. I'm sure they'll fix it but waiting sucks.

Nice job Treker, I have two Marantz 5010 cassette tape decks that I have changed the belts on now. They are working very well and they look very good. They are quite similar to your Marantz 5025 model. I hope to some day find a 5030 or 5025. The 5010's don't have the output level control. They are set internally with pots. They go very well with my Marantz 2238B receivers that I have. Thanks for doing this thread.

I have the same deck and that was very similar to my own experience

Great deck and nice to have a matching unit for a receiver

I have the same deck and that was very similar to my own experience

Great deck and nice to have a matching unit for a receiver

Yeah, this deck matches my 2238B and 2252B receivers very nicely, but not so much my 2250B. I guess I would need to find a 5020 for that.

Nice job Treker, I have two Marantz 5010 cassette tape decks that I have changed the belts on now. They are working very well and they look very good. They are quite similar to your Marantz 5025 model. I hope to some day find a 5030 or 5025. The 5010's don't have the output level control. They are set internally with pots. They go very well with my Marantz 2238B receivers that I have. Thanks for doing this thread.

Thanks for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. I'm glad others are finding the information in this thread useful.

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but kudos on the tutorial!!
I just won one of these on EBUY, I want it for my 2120 tuner, 3250B preamp, and 170 DC amp, Should look awesome!!

Hello Treker! I have come across a 5010 black-front model in need of new belts. I find that the photos from your original post are no longer there. Do I need to be a "Subscriber" to view them? Can you repost w/photos, or email them to me? Thanks, Mike

Back
Top Bottom