Marantz 8 tube choice

tom1066

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
One of the el34s from my 8 won't hold bias anymore and was looking for suggestions on replacement. I'm going to replace the quad since I was using the tubes that came with it when I purchased it. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm looking to spend under $500 if possible. I know mullards seem to always be a great option but they are so pricey.

I run a marantz 7 that has all Telefunkens into it and then out to cornwalls. Thanks!

Last edited:
Matched pairs Electro Harmonix 6CA7. $89.00 2x MP or $89.50 matched quad from Jim McShane.

Last edited:
I'm using a set of the EH EL 34's in one of my Dyna ST70's and I'm happy with the sound, plus the price is reasonable. Svetlana used to be my tube of choice, but there have been negative issues with the more recent ones.

The 8 is such an awesome amp IMO it deserves nothing but the best. I wish I could say that a quartet of NOS Mullard XF2 EL34's didnt completely blow away the EH 6CA7's and the KT77 reissues that I have, but that isnt the case. With an amp like the 8 you can really hear what a difference "special" tubes can make. My 8b sounds great with the EH 6CA7's, but it sounds magically fantastic and holographically hallucinogenic with the Mullards. You have to decide if that is worth $400ish more dollars to you - to me its a small price to pay to get 100% out of one of the all time greatest tube amp designs in history.

One problem with matched sets of costly near-unobtanium vintage tubes is losing one of the quad to a flashover.
Had a quad of vintage Sylvania 6CA7 become a threesome like that.
I'm ok supporting a modern supplier to encourage ongoing quality support at reasonable prices to keep this stuff alive. Once the expendables become as pricey as a pretty good MOSFET amp, I'm questioning my priorities. I'd rather a totl Citizen Ecodrive than having my Rolex Datejust chronometer overhauled again for more. Having a classic Marantz tube amp and keeping it running shouldn't be like that, but the only control I have over it is to encourage the acceptable alternative.
Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
My Marantz 8 to me is like keeping a classic Rolls-Royce ready and waiting in the garage. I could be perfectly happy with some other tube amps, but there is just that classic 'je ne sais quoi' with the elegant legendary Marantz tube amps.

The GEC Gold Lion KT77 reissue are supposed to be very good, at double the price of the EH 6CA7.

Truth to tell due to life changes here, I have not run the Marantz 8 setup since late spring, until last night. It's a reminder of why they are so highly regarded, even in a system as modest as this.

The 8 is such an awesome amp IMO it deserves nothing but the best. I wish I could say that a quartet of NOS Mullard XF2 EL34's didnt completely blow away the EH 6CA7's and the KT77 reissues that I have, but that isnt the case. With an amp like the 8 you can really hear what a difference "special" tubes can make. My 8b sounds great with the EH 6CA7's, but it sounds magically fantastic and holographically hallucinogenic with the Mullards. You have to decide if that is worth $400ish more dollars to you - to me its a small price to pay to get 100% out of one of the all time greatest tube amp designs in history.

Where do I even go to even look at prices on Mullards? I went to that auction site and honestly that makes me nervous. I looked at some of the "stores" on the web and the prices I saw were not in the "$400ish more" range. Just curious where people source these from. Thanks for the help!

My Marantz 8 to me is like keeping a classic Rolls-Royce ready and waiting in the garage. I could be perfectly happy with some other tube amps, but there is just that classic 'je ne sais quoi' with the elegant legendary Marantz tube amps.

I feel the same way - mine is my regular weekend amp. I used to not listen to it that much then decided what am I waiting for? Kind of like collecting bourbon but never opening the "good stuff".
Thanks for the help - BTW I never got back with you about a conversation we started about my 7 from a few years back. You still in Alabama?

Where do I even go to even look at prices on Mullards? I went to that auction site and honestly that makes me nervous. I looked at some of the "stores" on the web and the prices I saw were not in the "$400ish more" range. Just curious where people source these from. Thanks for the help!

I’d be nervous about buying them on eBay too - I’ve always gotten mine from our trusted tube pushers here on BT.

That was an interesting read, thanks. Almost just made me pull the trigger on the gold lion kt77s. More to think about.

Lots of folks in general (and many here on AK) seem to think very highly of the new KT77,both sonically and reliability-wise.
I don't really do a lot using the EL34 variety anymore,but I'm thinking of trying them the next time I have a project that requires this type.

And please, DON'T buy tubes on ebay.

Another alternative are 6P3S (6N3C same thing). These are Russian tubes, inexpensive and some of them are surprisingly good. It has been a while and don't recall which ones to look for. Hopefully you can research this and find out which ones to buy.

Lots of folks in general (and many here on AK) seem to think very highly of the new KT77,both sonically and reliability-wise.
I don't really do a lot using the EL34 variety anymore,but I'm thinking of trying them the next time I have a project that requires this type.

And please, DON'T buy tubes on ebay.
I've bought a couple matched quads of unbranded Russian 6L6 that were good, but not recently.

Back
Top Bottom