1. Welcome to the new server. If you would like to help out with the cost of the new server, check out the thread "Audiokarma's server needs your help" in AK NEWS.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz CC38 5-disc cd player - opinions?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by junior, May 4, 2005.

1. junior

junior Active Member

Hello,

Anyone heard this player? Is the DAC good? How's the sound. I have a portable Sony D-321 player(1993) now and via the Lineout, it seems to beat the sound of my parent's Pioneer and TEAC cd changers(both early 1990s) hands-down. The D-321 was much more 3D and transparent and less harsh. I just wonder if this Marantz CC38 is any good. I know the brand is well-respected. Also, I read from one source that it plays MP3s... which I doubt since it's from 1998 apparently. Can someone comment on this feature and the overall sound quality. :dunno: :headscrat

Thanks in advance!

2. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Super Mod Subscriber

This is an OK player; I've had one for 5+ years now, and it is still working fine. Sounds like any middle-of-the line player from the late 90's - decent, better than most early 90's players. Makes a good transport, better than my newer (and cheaper) Sony changer. I don't think it plays MP-3's, but I haven't tried - as you note, it is from the late 90's. Might be a decent deal if it is cheap.

3. junior

junior Active Member

Thanks RichPA. It wasn't going for very cheap. Asking $125 CDN so... I'll probably pass.

4. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

I've only hear its bigger brothers, the CC45 and CC48. Both were quite competant CD-changers... good sound. Not quite up to the stature of the CD67 Special Edition single-disk of the same era (but, there again, the changers weren't $500 either!), but quite well-behaved... smooth, easy-to-listen-to, and reliable.

Regards,
    Gordon.