Marantz hd880

Willy6

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently came across a nice pair of the hd880's and the guy was asking $250..anyone know if that's a good price for these?

I believe this series of Marantz speakers is highly regarded and the hd 880 is the top of the line in that series. They are reasonably rare to come across. I'd be getting them for that price.

Dollars and sense. Sub forum where value is discussed. Don't worry mods will do it for you.
I want to go get them today because I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning so I might miss out on them.I left the guy a message yesterday and haven't heard back..

I think $250 is a fair price if they are in good condition with all original parts. Look up pictures online and compare them to the ones for sale before you buy them.

Pretty sure the HD88's were the top dog in the series. Awesome speakers!
The HD 88's are not the same as the HD 880's.
Two different speaker lines.
The 88 and 880 were the top of each line and are supposedly some of the best vintage Marantz speakers.

While everyones tastes differ, I much prefer the visual styling of the XX0 series.
The XX series has that cheap cheesy vinyl woodgrain on the front baffle.

Last edited:
I once passed on some 880s that were not all together way back in the beginning of my audio journey(mistake).Have never come across another pair since(over ten years) in person or cl.I would think these are the holy grail speakers for the Marantz purist and would bring way more than $250 if in top condition.

My Dad had a pair of HD88's when I was a kid. They are great speakers. Sadly the foam grills and foam port plugs rot away rather quickly. I'd love to have a pair of them. But I never seen them come up for sale.

marantz_hd-88.jpg

The vari-q foam plugs are easy enough to DIY. I made a pair for my HD 66's though I wish I had the vari-q trim rings.
There is at least one source for the foam grille coverings for the completists/purists.

The vari-q foam plugs are easy enough to DIY. I made a pair for my HD 66's though I wish I had the vari-q trim rings.
There is at least one source for the foam grille coverings for the completists/purists.
Any construction hints?

Back
Top Bottom