Marantz PM 8005 int. amp. vs Marantz 2270 receiver

terry gentry

Hello....can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in sound seperation
between the PM 8005 int. amp. and the 2270 receiver?? I'm using Energy connoisseur series C-5 speakers. I'm thinking about getting the PM 8005.....but I won't if there isn't that much sound difference.

I have the 8004 with similar speakers. The PM800x was voiced with a VERY!!! weak lower treble upper mid. Me personally, it drives me crazy and I end up cranking the midrange up to full and the treble up about 90 percent. I don't know what Marantz was thinking when they voiced this amp. And I do know a few others that have said the same thing. Otherwise my 8004 is full, rich, dynamic and every bit as nice as my vintage gear. It was made with high quality parts and care WAS used to engineer and build it. It's not a modern piece of junk and looks great. If you don't mind cranking up the controls you're OK then.

Maybe the 8005 may have resolved that "sound". So if you can get it with a 30 day return policy give it a try.

If you go the vintage route DO!!!!! take into consideration it needs a PROFESSIONAL!!!!!! rebuild. Now here's something to chew on.

I haven't heard a 2270 in years and I have owned a few. Truth be told I had a few and always seemed to sell them. My personal favorites over the 70 was the humble 30 and the 2245. I think if I was going to drop about a grand I would get a 2245 and have Bob Speece rebuild it. And this has nothing to do with the Marantz forum or vintage. I have new and modern gear so I'm not bias on this issue. It comes down to sound.

In addition I think the 45 WILL have more balls and just have a stronger overall sound then the PM8005.

The PM800x was voiced with a VERY!!! weak lower treble upper mid
I have the PM8005, my speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver RX6. I find the sound very balanced.
Most of the time I have it in "direct" mode, if I do anything with the tone controls, it is to add abit of bass, depending on the recordings and where I am in the room.
So, for me the treble balance is very good, no problems with it lacking or being agressive.
I have a few very nicely restored marantzes (2226B, 2220, 1060) and I don't find their sound that different.
The 8005 sounds very clean, you can just turn it up and up and it stays clean. I'd say a bit too clean maybe, lacking a bit of "rawness" ?

For one year I was using my CD6005 with the PM8005, but when I started using a Rega Apollo CD player, I realised the amp is more capable than I thought.

The 8005 places the instruments quite precisely in the sound field, voices can be really nicely centered, but it sounds less "3D" than my 1060. But the 1060 will not place instruments and voices as precisely.

I like my 2220 because it has that "untreated" raw sound. Maybe I just like some more distortion, who knows...

And yes, any vintage Marantz will not sound its best before a good restoration, IMO and from my personal experience.

Thanks for the advice.....I'll have to figure out what to restore between....1070...2252B....1150...1150D...2270...and 2238B.....

I have the PM8005,
So, for me the treble balance is very good, no problems with it lacking or being agressive.

The 8005 sounds very clean, you can just turn it up and up and it stays clean. I'd say a bit too clean maybe, lacking a bit of "rawness" ?
The 8005 places the instruments quite precisely in the sound field, voices can be really nicely centered, but it sounds less "3D" than my 1060. But the 1060 will not place instruments and voices as precisely.

And yes, any vintage Marantz will not sound its best before a good restoration, IMO and from my personal experience.

It would be very interesting to compare the 8005 and 8004. It wasn't just me feeling that way about the 8004. It had very good "bones" and did a lot of other stuff very well. Also I didn't find it "clean" in anyway. Again this may be a result of some changes Marantz did between models.

My pm8005 is very clear, dynamic detailed and neutral. It is less warm than my vintage McIntosh and run direct without tone controls sounds very realistic thru my Kef R300s and my Ohm Walsh's. When I use my Spendor S3/5 I use the tone controls to push the bass. I sold Marantz as a rep during college. I think the modern amps are well voiced. The vintage amps were warmer. If you buy and restore a vintage amp it will probably sound more modern due to parts. I would just buy new.

I have the PM8005, my speakers are the Monitor Audio Silver RX6. I find the sound very balanced.
Most of the time I have it in "direct" mode, if I do anything with the tone controls, it is to add abit of bass, depending on the recordings and where I am in the room.

The 8005 places the instruments quite precisely in the sound field, voices can be really nicely centered, but it sounds less "3D" than my 1060. But the 1060 will not place instruments and voices as precisely..

I found the service manual and schematic for both the PM8004 and PM8005. Later on I am going to compare them and see if there was any changes. Because I'm telling ya the 8004 is rolled off in the lower mids. And for no good reason. It sounds planned.

To the original question. I think the 2270 will sound warmer as stated and will have a loudness button and a tuner. The 8005 will sound brighter in comparison and has a remote and no loudness button or tuner.

I own the pm8005 and a 2220b and 1060 I also owned a pm5004. The two vintage amps sound warmer but less detailed than the modern ones. The pm5004 was closer to the tone of the 1060 and 2220b than was the pm8005. With the 8005 being noticeably less warm of the bunch. ( I did own them all at one time and compared over a few months)

I do think the 8005 seemed to sound more like the other when I cut back the mid and highs and boost lows a bit I find it interesting a user did the opposite of this with their pm8004. With good recordings I just use source direct.

I want to try the PM7000 next. Seemed to be a hit when it came out and you can get em pretty cheap

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom