Marantz PM6005 amp sound problem

restorado

I have a PM6005 amp and a CD6005 CD player. The sound is too high on the right speaker and no sound on the left speaker. The volume won't turn down. When I turn the volume up some the sound from the left speaker comes on. I switched speaker wires to see if it was a speaker problem. Now the right speaker won't come on until the volume is turned up some, so it appears there is a problem with the left channel. The same thing happens with a FM tuner or anything else connected. It has been working fine for about a year and a half.

Does your unit have pre/main connectors in back?? If so, cross them using rca phono jacks and see if the sides change. My first guess is a faulty volume potentiometer or a balance pot, or wire / bad connection at the pot.
The volume will not go down on one side is the clue. That volume potentiometer should shut it right down, but strange backfeeds and poor grounds can do wierd stuff.
I am not familier with this unit though. Did you spill anything on it lately.?

Did you try smacking it on the side? ;)
It probably won't fix it, but you'll feel better:biggrin:

Last edited:
The 6005 has separate preamp/amp inputs but they are only for patching OUT. So they are internally wired together.

It does sound like the volume pot has gone bad "some how"? The volume pot is on one unit with the volume controller and remote controller on one board.

However they are installed with pins. So you can try this. Open it up, look towards the front were the volume board is and try wiggling it around. Listen to if the volume corrects it's self. that would indicate a loosening pin or solder pad on the pin connector.

Post back your results.

BTW I have a PM8005 that I've played around with the volume control on that unit already. I "think" when you activate the tone controls out of circuit the balance is also removed??? I may be wrong on that one???

I have a PM6005 amp and a CD6005 CD player. The sound is too high on the right speaker and no sound on the left speaker. The volume won't turn down. When I turn the volume up some the sound from the left speaker comes on. I switched speaker wires to see if it was a speaker problem. Now the right speaker won't come on until the volume is turned up some, so it appears there is a problem with the left channel. The same thing happens with a FM tuner or anything else connected. It has been working fine for about a year and a half.

Problem solved:

The sound problem on my Marantz PM6005 is fixed. I had turned the sound all the way down and the right speaker had just a little sound. I turned the sound up a little bit and was messing with the audio cables and the left speaker come on then went off. When I wiggled the cord the left speaker would come on. This audio cable is a Monster gold plated. I replaced it with another cable and everything works fine. The reason I did’nt check the audio cables before is because when I would turn the volume up the left speaker would come on. It was explained to me by a guy that repairs electronics that as the volume is turned up the increase in ohms would make contact, something like that?

I am 79 years old, are’nt you supposed to get smarter when you get older? My neighbor says sometimes it goes the other way. On usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings my wife and I listen to modern jazz, new age, alternative and modern rock. I have a pair of Klipsch Lascala speakers that I bought in 1976. They would cost about $7000 a pair now. My brother is a year and a half younger and listens to modern music also. Our youngest brother likes the old classics. He calls us “hippys” Are’nt hippies outdated?

Anyway everybody, check your cables and things some problems can be simple.

Great you figured out the problem. Don't worry. The average age in this forum is not 26 but more like 62.

I just want to say that those Klipsch speakers are a PERFECT match for that amp. The newer Marantz's have and overly polite top end and the Klipsch's care really take care of that well.

Enjoy and smoke-em if ya got-em

Ok, you threw us off when you said
" I switched speaker wires to see if it was a speaker problem. Now the right speaker won't come on until the volume is turned up some, so it appears there is a problem with the left channel."

I gather you switched them at the speaker and not the at the back of the receiver like we thought.

Keep rockin old timer, i'm right behind you.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom