Marantz SR 8500 DAC vs Dedicated DAC

ahartig

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello all. First post in DAC forum. First dabbled with a dac in my office setup, using a smaller Fiio DAC to stream tidal to office stereo. Before I had the DAC I thought it was all hype, but the office set up made me realize the benefits.

Just got a pair of altec Lansing 846Bs settup in my great room and listen to music via tidal hifi streamed to an airport express that is hooked up via optical to a marantz sr8500. The DAC in The marantz is described as follows:

"Digital-to-analog conversion is via 24- bit/192kHz DACs, with Cirrus Logic supplying the dual-chip 32-bit DSP engine"

Tidal hifi is only 16 bit / 44 kHz, as well as some master albums in 24 bit / 96 kHz.

My question is if I would see any benefits in buying a newer DAC (I have heard good things about the schiit multibit) instead of using the internal marantz DAC from the 2000s.

I should add that if I were to go the multibit route, I'd probably power the speakers with a sansui 9090db. My current setup is marantz 8500 to Acurus 200x3 amp.

Sansui with the Schiit Multibits will be nice. I have a Schiit Modi Multibits and Sansui AU-X901 paired up and loving it, big time.

I recently added a simple old Musical Fidelity VDAC to my system, and it's night and day better than what I was hearing out of my Marantz sr5005.

Thanks for the input guys/gals. It is what I suspected just wanted to confirm. I'll be on the lookout for some nice Schiit

Ended up getting a Beresford Caiman MKII off bartertown, first impressions are good.

Back
Top Bottom