Marantz WC-22 Construction Plans

I've had several of these and sooner or later, you lean over the unit to connect or disconnect a cable, and you lean on the mesh bending it down. I've done it way too many times. That's why I prefer the mesh not be attached - just slid into place. When I change a cable, I slide the mesh out first. Otherwise, I am very likely to bend it. The drawing looks spot on. A few rounded corners and you will have it.

Some of the WC-22s have a support structure across the back. I'm not sure if this design came later or if it was mixed in along the way.

Borrowed a picture after searching a bit:

641916-original_marantz_wc_22_wood_case.jpg

I've had many WC-22's including several in the 70's. None of them ever had a rear support. I think it's a good idea, but I think it is probably an aftermarket product.

IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

The case for my 2285b has a rear support. Not the standard WC-22 mind you (plywood construction, unilateral bottom vent location, built in feet, etc.). I've recently seen a WC-43 though up close that was original equipment (I think) and had the rear support. It was interesting, a hyrbid MDF and plywood construction that came off a 4400.

Edit: That's the 2285b oem case (the sleeve WC-22-like version and not the WC-122).

I could be wrong but this is what I've observed.

Last edited:
I'm working on my wc-22 case in walnut, way more work then expected. I bought. A 4720 for $250, reconditioned on my own, and thought the case would be a great add. I told my father about my latest hobby, and he has a dusty old 6200 turntable he sent me! Score! Plus a great family keepsake for my kids. A new belt and needle was all that was needed. The turntable wood needs help. I was going to finish with Tung Oil, but was also thinking a red mahogany would look great and would match what I was planning for the case. I feel that might be heresy to change the original walnut. Thoughts?

You can't go wrong with any finish. I have seen those cases in every wood finish in the spectrum, and I haven't seen one that didn't compliment the unit yet. :thumbsup:

Tried to download pdf but got "Sorry, that file doesn’t live here anymore. It might have been moved or made private" ???

Marantz WC-22 new download link for pdf files. I made Solidworks drawing with global variable for material thickness. One just have to link the equations.txt file and change "t" for material thickness for example to 19mm (3/4"). This way internal critical dimensions of the WC-22 are intact, only the external dimensions are changed accordingly... Here is the link for my WC-22 SW project if somebody is interested.

New member here. Thanks so much for your great resource contribution. I will be building a replica case from these plans using walnut veneer plywood with base in Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF). I prefer MDF to particle board since I am not applying veneer. Machines better, I think. Rubbed Lacquer piano finish to follow.

There was a comment earlier about some wc22 cases having a support piece to stop the grill sagging. I believe this is factory and there were in fact two versions of the WC22 (series 1 & 2?). In addition to the support piece, the front angled bevel piece which was machined from solid walnut in the earlier cases was changed to tacking on small strips of walnut veneer over the particle board which was machined to the angled profile. These small strips are prone to flaking off and are not as durable as the solid walnut versions but I'm sure they were cheaper to manufacture so hence the change. I'm unsure if both changes occurred simultaneously or if there were other changes.

Marantz WC-22 new download link for pdf files. I made Solidworks drawing with global variable for material thickness. One just have to link the equations.txt file and change "t" for material thickness for example to 19mm (3/4"). This way internal critical dimensions of the WC-22 are intact, only the external dimensions are changed accordingly... Here is the link for my WC-22 SW project if somebody is interested.

Thank you very much for this great tread and carefully prepared dimension! Now some other analog music lover in Turkey producing these!

Thank you!

I bought the WC-22 case in 1974 just after I purchased a 2270. Attached are some pics of the official attachment screws that were part of the package.

Attachments

• WC-22 U Screws 001.jpg
    WC-22 U Screws 001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 245
  • WC-22 U Screws 002.jpg
    WC-22 U Screws 002.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 206
  • WC-22 U Screws 003.jpg
    WC-22 U Screws 003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 196
  • WC-22 U Screws 004.jpg
    WC-22 U Screws 004.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 195
I love my country, but I've heard better for your part of the world, Steve... ;)

I finished the WC-22 version 1.0. There will be one more may be. Before I publish the full drawings, I'm planing to make just a basic 3d model of my 2230 receiver and check if it fits properly in the case. The body, face panel and the feet screws... Stay tuned. :)

View attachment 777007
View attachment 778024
View attachment 779357

Thanks for contributing to this thread. I've read through it a couple times but did not see any mention on how the top and sides are secured. With all panels cut on a 45 degree angle is it simply clamped and glued square? So a mitered butt joint? I'm surprised it's not a rabbet. Did Marantz use nails or stapes does anyone know?

Thanks for contributing to this thread. I've read through it a couple times but did not see any mention on how the top and sides are secured. With all panels cut on a 45 degree angle is it simply clamped and glued square? So a mitered butt joint? I'm surprised it's not a rabbet. Did Marantz use nails or stapes does anyone know?

Have you assembled and fitted yet? how does it fit? any pics. did you use the plans above? as is or did you need to modify?
thnx

Is it possible to send me the file. I dont speak or can read what to do with the link.
Thanks

FYI for anyone with a 6100 or 6200 TT: the "wood" is actually just a vinyl wrap.. so no oil will help it. I had a wood plinth custom made for my 6200 since the vinyl had wrinkles in it and it looks 100 billion % better than the plain walnut look vinyl

As promised - drawings for the WC-22 with 3/4" material in inches and fractions were it was possible. Click to download the pdf.
Couldn't upload here, complains the file too big?! It's only 1.57MB?
This link is no longer any good. Could someone please repost a current link or attach the US version of the plans here? Thanks!!!

Is it possible to send me the file. I dont speak or can read what to do with the link.
Thanks
Found this link and it works but when I download the 3/4" file, it's in a format that I can't open. Does someone have a PDF or Word version of this zip file? Thank you VERY much!!

Found this link and it works but when I download the SW file, it's in a format that I can't open. Does someone have a PDF or Word version of this zip file? Thank you VERY much!!

Back
Top Bottom