Massdrop Generally, Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee Specifically

musichal

poet emeritus
Have you been happy with Massdrop headphones, and their service?

Has anyone heard the 58X? A current drop at $150, in stock and shipping. Closes in two days if I read correctly.

Last edited:
I have two items purchased from Massdrop. They are a Topping D10 USB DAC and HiFi Man HE-350 headphones. I'm quite happy with both. Although the wait time after ordering (joining the drop) can be quite lengthy the products and pricing make the wait worthwhile. I'm not to fond of their shipper of choice (DHL). With DHL shipping items seem to disappear into a black hole for a week and then miraculously appear on my front porch.

Got the Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX headphones. Pleased with them and Massdrop. JoeESP9 is right, the long wait is part of the deal.

I ordered a pair today. Estimated shipping date is July 4, lol. I read the 'community' posts regarding this drop, so was forewarned not to expect a quick delivery, but since this is a continuation drop the 'phones are in stock, so no long, long wait.

Always wanted a pair of Sennheisers, and the price is right, so I ordered. Between these, the Hifiman HE-400i and the AKG 240S (which I still like), I have all the headphones I want now, and more than I need.

I realize there are better, more expensive headphones, but these will do me just fine.

I have two items purchased from Massdrop. They are a Topping D10 USB DAC and HiFi Man HE-350 headphones. I'm quite happy with both. Although the wait time after ordering (joining the drop) can be quite lengthy the products and pricing make the wait worthwhile. I'm not to fond of their shipper of choice (DHL). With DHL shipping items seem to disappear into a black hole for a week and then miraculously appear on my front porch.

Got the Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX headphones. Pleased with them and Massdrop. JoeESP9 is right, the long wait is part of the deal.

My Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X "Jubilee" headphones just arrived! Got 'em on my big, square head now, with Morph the Cat playing because I want to check out the bass. My HE-400i and AKG K-240S are both known to be on the lean side. These Sennheiser knockoffs (I say that affectionately, yes, already) go deep, and high, and the mids are sounding good, too. Just switched to It's a Beautiful Day's White Bird as a quick initial check of both male and female voice. Pretty impressive. Strings sound great, too. So I'm going on to Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor. Initially, right out of the box, with no break-in, I'm impressed with the midrange resolution.

I have a lot of listening to do, and probably some changes to go through as these cans break in, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Great dynamics. These may well supplant the 400i as my best headphone, and since I didn't even know of them until two days before the end of the drop, no long wait for me. Looking like I made an excellent $150 purchase.

Now, I am no headphone aficionado. Have never heard any of the recent Uber brands. Did listen to some Stax Lambda Pro 'phones back in the mid '80s, but that is ancient history, and the only really high-end headphone I ever heard. Got to spend a few hours a day with those for three days. So, I'm not the headphone guru for current models. And I have no but to add to that. That's a fact, Jack.

Look to others to tell you how they stack up. No doubt all my headphones are well down the connoisseur list. When I bought the Hifiman, I had trouble deciding on them or HD-650, sound unheard. Now that I have these, I think I chose well, since I now have Sennheisers that I think I will love, too. Most likely will hang onto all three and stop buying headphones. I believe I'm set.

Except for the long extension cord I just ordered so that I can plug directly into the Levinson which is claimed to have an excellent HP amp.

There seems little interest in these phones, here. Since the drop has ended, I can see why. I don't know how many were sold, but relatively few people own them. I'm not sure whether I was in a second drop, or the end of only one. And you can't simply order a pair today. Will they have another drop in the future? IDK.

Interesting the relationship HeadFi has with these HP companies. They claim collaboration. A Head-Fi 'review' of this model on YouTube sounds like Bose marketing infomercials I used to see on TV. Seems a very effective marketing strategy. Regardless, the manufacturers put their names on the products, and it appears to me there is good value here.

After listening to the Sennheiser HD58X for a couple days, I then put on the HE-400i. The most obvious difference right away was a drop in volume, the 58 is more sensitive. So I turned them up to near the same volume as I'd just been listening to the 58, and just as obvious as the sensitivity was the differing tonal balance. The 400i is much leaner, but also more resolving in the mids to my ear. The sound is airier, more open. The voice of EF singing Black Coffee from The Intimate Ella recording more immediate and involving. Both phones have good top ends. The 58 sounds darker.

In my living room I have the MA Silver 6 speakers. In the bedroom, the Klipsch Forte. They are two disparate speakers, and that was no accident. I like the sound of both, a lot. Respect their differing strengths and sonic signatures. I have enjoyed many different types of speakers over the years, and I wanted the diversity.

I wanted the same for headphones. The Sennheiser get deeper, and sound great across the range to me. The Hifiman as I just reported, less extension below, but better resolution through the mids. Both have a good top, with the 400i airier. And this was no accident, either. I can listen to any style of music with both, but am more likely to choose the 400i for vocals and chamber music. More likely to go 58X when I want bigger bass. Sometimes mood trumps genre, though. I like my choices.

Why not spend $2k for an upper-tier model that has all of the above and more (reportedly)?

'Cause I'm a little quirky maybe, but I'm not fuggin' stone-cold off-my-gourd nuts. Not completely, anyway. For me, $2k is definite speaker territory. I could most happily live with either of these models, but spoiled myself with both.

Now, you guys who do have high-dollar phones, that last bit was for humor. A bit of tongue-in-cheek. We all put whatever money we put in this hobby where it means the most for us. More power to you. Few things are better than getting what we want.

I just bought the HD-6xx second hand. A dude had purchased them in the most recent Massdrop and decided to pass them on.

They were about $15 less than the already low drop price.

I'll do a small review here when I get them.

He shipped 2 hours after I paid. UPS stays open really late in the big California cities, it was after 10pm PST. Here, they close at 7pm, and roll part of the sidewalk up, too.

I've bought both the Sennheiser HD6XX and the HIFIMan He4XX from Massdrop. I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee's I've had over 20 years. After many hours of break-in, I'm beginning to prefer the HIFIMan HE4XX's. I'm surprised by that. The HE4XX's have better bass (after at least 75 hours of break-in) and the separation between instruments, etc., if far better. Both Sennheisers seem to have more of a "hi fi kinda sound". The HE4XX's seem more musical and natural. As for Massdrop - great values but yes, sometimes wait times are long. However, the expected ship date is always included in the description.

Add me to new Massdropper and HE-4xx owner. I travel a lot and for $170 it was a no brainer given reviews of other Hifiman cans. Waiting was the hardest part. I think these are my most comfortable pair. The ear pads are comfy and not too tight despite being on large size.

I ran these for a couple days straight for break-in. Getting better already as initially sounded dark to me. I have/had 3 other planars = Oppo PM3, Mr. Speaker Aeons too. Getting the planar resolution and stage is my preference over heavy bass. These need power and I use Red Dragonfly and Chord Mojo when traveling.

I scan the drop emails and remind myself I don't need 10 + pair since I am at 5 now.....

You guys are almost convincing me that I need to get a pair of the HE4xxs.

Anybody had the chance to compare them to the Fostex T50RPs?

As for comfort, I find the Sennheiser 58X, Hifiman 400i and the AKG 240 all about equal on that count. The few ounces weight difference I find negligible. I can wear any one for hours. Circumaural (needs adding to spell-check) phones with adjustable headbands and I'm good.

You guys are almost convincing me that I need to get a pair of the HE4xxs.

Anybody had the chance to compare them to the Fostex T50RPs?

Have both the Massdrop HE-4xx and the Fostex T50RP cans. Fostex needs a bit more juice to reach HE-4XX volume levels, The sound stage is, to me, angled at about 22 degrees into center on the Fostex. Both are modded. I raised a set of leather pads on the HE-4XX by about 3/16ths. That added to the fluidity of the bass, The Fostex are mass loaded and filled with open cell foam and the cups are lined with felt (1/16). Both produce very enjoyable music. I would recommend Headphone Amps for both. Of the two, the HE-4XX gets the most use.

Musichal: Congrats on an enjoyable set of cans. I do the same thing, switching headphones for different music... It just makes sense to me!

Last edited:
I think this may be my first post here, and it's about headphones, LOL.
hJafC2R.jpg

PxahY8V.jpg

Those are pics I took for the person who bought them from me. As far as Massdrop; it was my first purchase from them and it went smoothly. As far as the cans; I was initially concerned about the lack of bass I had been reading about - but honestly, I thought they were fine in that regard. What I couldn't get around was the lack of energy in the treble; I guess it's true what they say about the Sennheiser Veil. And, I didn't really notice it until I a/b'ed them with my Amperior's and my Beyer DT-990's. Now granted, the Beyers have their signature house sound with extended highs; which I actually enjoy.

That said, in the end, they just weren't for me. I should add that I played in bands as a kid and my hearing is probably shot as far as the higher frequencies, which may be why I prefer a brighter set of cans, like the DT-990's - which by they way, I find to be outstanding.

There, I got my first post in, LOL.

Steve

I apologize for this Gonzo style post...but I'm short on time.

My Massdrop HD-6xx's have arrived...I've maybe 30 minutes with them. They came in a beautiful hard case with hinges...

DSC00494.JPG

Comfort is great...except I can't relate to two points of contact on top my skull...not yet anyway.

The sound was, I thought disappointing at first. I listened to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session, and Lucinda William World without tears. Lucinda's raggy voice (which I love) was way too raggy. And they had no bass. People say the HD-650s are bass heavy. I was like 'where's the bass'. Then I decided they must be stoved up from being new. I put a FLAC on of this song and turned it up.

Holy Moly ! They sound great, except I can't listen to loud volumes without my tinnitus kick up. Now my ears are ringing and I have to go the breakfast, and then sleep. I work overnight shifts.

Maybe I can find a happy medium with them.

I apologize for this Gonzo style post...but I'm short on time.

My Massdrop HD-6xx's have arrived...I've maybe 30 minutes with them. They came in a beautiful hard case with hinges...

View attachment 1235325

Comfort is great...except I can't relate to two points of contact on top my skull...not yet anyway.

The sound was, I thought disappointing at first. I listened to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session, and Lucinda William World without tears. Lucinda's raggy voice (which I love) was way too raggy. And they had no bass. People say the HD-650s are bass heavy. I was like 'where's the bass'. Then I decided they must be stoved up from being new. I put a FLAC on of this song and turned it up.

Holy Moly ! They sound great, except I can't listen to loud volumes without my tinnitus kick up. Now my ears are ringing and I have to go the breakfast, and then sleep. I work overnight shifts.

Maybe I can find a happy medium with them.

Put 'em on FM or something else continuous at lower volume and let 'em break in while at work.

I ordered the HD58X today. Should ship about Tuesday. Only other phones I've bought in years are Koss 4aa, AKG 380 Parabolic style and Porta-Pro.
Comments here tore me between these and waiting for Hifiman 4XX. On thier site there was some discussion comments on QC issues about loose screws. Don't know if that's widespread or resolved.
I'm not sure if I shouldn't have gone more upscale. Time will tell, if they get used and enjoyed. I'll give my thoughts after received and broke in. But, I don't have much to compare to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom