Matching bookshelf speakers to Harmon Kardon AVR630

Justinworks

I'm not sure it's quite vintage yet, but I have an early AVR630 capable of 75W per channel. Reviews say that is a conservative measure with all channels at max.

I'm looking to build a 2.1 setup with it and an AT-PL120 (non-USB) turntable. I have the satellite speakers of the HKTS-14 Surround audio system. The recommended power from the manual is "10-120 watts" per satellite speaker. I was planning on using the 12" subwoofer and ditching the sat speakers. I can't find a watt rating on them and I know something else would sound better and be less directional. 10-120 watts? OK.... Basically my question is what kind of speakers should I get for a 2.1 setup with this receiver? Main use is home theatre and turntable. I have this odd ceiling setup, so I was wondering about these upward facing atmos type speakers too.

Limiting to 75W RMS for the 2 front channels should be fine for some Klipsch RP-160M's, but I'm left wondering if the other channels aren't used (the AVR630 is a 5.1 receiver I think) then will that extra power be available for the 2 bookshelf speakers and sub? Could I potentially go to 120 watts RMS on a 2.1 setup. I'm not exactly sure on the power draw on the 12" sub but all of this is early "oughts" tech if that helps. Is there a hard 75 watt limit per channel or if power is available will it be sent through?

Any insight is much appreciated. I have separate questions about routing audio/video from an HDMI source through this receiver, but that can wait.

Attachments

• file-7.jpeg
    file-7.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
  • sattelites.jpeg
    sattelites.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180417_130839.jpg
    20180417_130839.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
User manual.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/harman-kardon/avr630.shtml
Your av 630 is 5.1 or 7.1 but you can certainly run 2.1 an in addition to units 7.1, it also has pre outs to feed audio programs to another amp.
I suggest read pages indexed to speakers. primaries are 90w, surr. is 75w. so that changes your concern for primary speaker power. I don't believe your unit 'frees up' amp power from unused speaker ports .

Back
Top Bottom