matching Technics paint ?

gadget73

junk junkie
Subscriber
Has anyone repainted a Technics in a silver color that matched the original? My SL-DL1 has some corrosion on the aluminum upper lid and I'd like to sand it down and repaint it. I'd sort of prefer to match the original color so I don't have to repaint the whole thing and lose the labels on the controls.

The color was a basic light metalic silver to match the aluminum work on the recivers and other components of the day. They called it sunrise silver. Anything you use will seem lighter as the original color has faded and tarneshed over the years. I would use a semi-gloss.

Hm, well thats sort of the thing. I don't want the paint to almost match. I'm looking for either an exact match, or a totally different color that will work with the controls un-painted. Being a car guy, having not-quite matching paint on adjacent panels just drives me nuts. Two-tone I can handle though. I was thinking maybe a graphite color on the top section, and possibly the two sides as well but leave the inner plinth area and the front panel the original silver so I don't lose the labels. As you can see, the sides are not in spectacular shape either. The front panel looks pretty decent, and inside under the lid is of course nearly perfect.

Some pics of the ugly area:

Attachments

• DSCN0084.jpg
    DSCN0084.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0083.jpg
    DSCN0083.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0082.jpg
    DSCN0082.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 89
I've wondered this myself. I have had a couple of Technics machines come my way with scuffed up or gouged bases. It is a silver paint, and even with yellowing with age, you can get it back to a like new state with light buffing or 0000 steel wool to clean it up. In theory you should be able to use spot putty and the correct color to spot repair them. But I haven't been able to determine if there is a correct duplicolor or Tamiya, etc, silver to match it.

I am watching this with envy.

One of my Craigslist ($25.00 special) SL-1600MKII is in dire need of a complete make over! :yes:

I am watching this with envy.

One of my Craigslist ($25.00 special) SL-1600MKII is in dire need of a complete make over! :yes:

Wish I had known. It could have gone in the batch with my 1200.

I know a guy who does powdercoating, so that is an option. Mostly my concern is that I don't wish to lose the labels. Anyone have a good solution for replacing the labels without it looking shabby? I'd be willing to consider a vinyl decal that covers just the controls area if that would look good.

Have you considered an airbrush and a nice two-tone [or even three-tone!] paint job with fade between colors? It can be very pretty if done right.

I know a guy who does powdercoating, so that is an option. Mostly my concern is that I don't wish to lose the labels. Anyone have a good solution for replacing the labels without it looking shabby? I'd be willing to consider a vinyl decal that covers just the controls area if that would look good.

There are several sources. I got a set of silk screened ones on a clear backing off of ebay for $8. I resprayed the plinth of my 1200 MK II added the labels and it looks like new. The problem you will have is I doubt you will find labels for anything but a 1200, if your not picky they should work fine.

well, this one being a linear tracker has control labels that the 1200 just won't have. Maybe I can see what it would cost me for a custom set of labels. Probably going to get into more than I care to spend on this thing though, but perhaps not.

Airbrushing is definitely beyond my artistic capacity. I can paint things single color with spray paint and have it come out good, but thats about it. It also doesn't much appeal to my rather drab sense of style. I could probably hire an Amish interior decorator and not be upset with any of the design or color choices. I can also get along with Henry Ford's notion of car color choices. Both of my cars are black actually, one with dark grey interior and the other has black interior.

a car paintshop should be able to mix you some matching paint .whether its safe for you to use is another matter .if its 2 pack and you don't have the correct gear its a big no no . if you can find cellulose its pretty safe as its made from trees .its just the thinners that's a little bad . carbon filter mask is fine .
metallics will come out in varying shades due to how wet its sprayed .the drier the lighter . also temperature with alter it .also how thin or thick you mix it will change the shade .
we used to have squares of primed steel for colour matching about 5 inches square .

Has anyone repainted a Technics in a silver color that matched the original? My SL-DL1 has some corrosion on the aluminum upper lid and I'd like to sand it down and repaint it. I'd sort of prefer to match the original color so I don't have to repaint the whole thing and lose the labels on the controls.
Hi,
Did you find the exact color code?

I have a SL-1301 I'm restoring with the same issue. What I am going to try is the scratch removing stuff for auto paint. I'm hoping I can clear up the marks with that. If not, I'll just re-do the entire plinth I guess.

Well, I don't think that you will ever match the paint color exactly. Even a car fender bender results in a major paint job, even with factory paint. If you want it to look like new, I suggest repainting the entire thing.

Back
Top Bottom