Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Artist - Matt Bianco (featuring Basia)
Title - Matt's Mood
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Decca
Genre - jazz

First off, Matt Bianco is the name of a group, not a person, and the trio's 1984 debut album, "Whose Side Are You On?," went platinum. That didn't prevent the threesome from splitting up before they could even tour together. Basia Trzetrzelewska, the group's female singer, had her eyes on a solo career, and she took Matt Bianco keyboardist Danny White with her to create four albums under the single name Basia. Male singer Mark Reilly recruited a new keyboardist, Mark Fisher, and recorded eight more albums under the Matt Bianco moniker.

Last year Trzetrzelewska, White and Reilly reunited to co-write and co-produce a new Matt Bianco album, "Matt's Mood," and this spring they're touring as a trio for the first time.

Matt's Mood is flavored with jazz, bossa nova and "Quiet Storm" R&B. This one is great all the way through and does not get old after repeated plays. Check out some of the sound bites on Amazon. From the opening number "Ordinary Day" with Basia's smooth vocals to the rhythm of "Slip & Sliding", this album will make your speakers come to life.

After seeing much activity on the other album reviews I posted, I'm surprised no one has commented on this one. Maybe it's just too new or that most of you have never heard Matt Bianco. I bought it becasue it featured Basia, who is one of my all time favorite female singes. Now finding out about the history of Matt Bianco and the cross influences of the members, I will continue to try new releases by them. This one is truely exceptional.

So, anyone else heard this and what did you think?

Along Sade's 1st LP, I always held the 1st Matt Bianco as a true gem and an instant classic. Still listening to both of them LPs once in a while. Doesn't make me much younger but neither does Supertramp's Paris live album, Rock Lobster or Never Mind the Bollocks :D

Seen plenty of 1980s glories come back recently... Duran Duran (another great 1st album) is currently touring over here, New Order, too (less fortunate comeback, or attempt to). And that great voice that was singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Bonnie something? Patsy something? can't remember). How about Pat Benatar getting lucky again?

I haven't heard any sound bites of Matt's Mood. I am tempted to. But I'd rather keep my memories, that is: try not to update them and leave them as there were and still are.

After seeing much activity on the other album reviews I posted, I'm surprised no one has commented on this one. Maybe it's just too new or that most of you have never heard Matt Bianco. I bought it becasue it featured Basia, who is one of my all time favorite female singes. Now finding out about the history of Matt Bianco and the cross influences of the members, I will continue to try new releases by them. This one is truely exceptional.

Just noticed the post Ward,
I still have the first Matt Bianco album and 2- Basia albums, Havent listened for some time now. I will have to check out Matt's Mood and give the 1st album a spin again. Glad you reminded me, so many album's so little time. :)

I think I heard once upon a time that "Matt Bianco"meant "flat white" or something like that.

RC

I finally got around to buying Matt's Mood. I had to special order it, though, as no music store in Ottawa had it in stock. :sigh: Prices varied from $15 to $30 for a special order, depending on the store. HMV seems to always have the lowest prices on special orders in Ottawa BTW.

A very good album. The mix of vocals and instrumentals reminds me of Swing out Sister's first two CDs; the LPs did not have as many tunes, so the CDs are a better buy for SOS fans. I liked Matt's Mood a lot, although, I prefer Basia's singing to Mark's (I am a big time Basia fan).

On the Official Matt Bianco website as well as Basiaweb.org, both state Basia will soon record a new solo album. Matt Bianco was a tounge-in-cheek name the group members came up with. It was the name of a ficticious spy ala James Bond.

Coincidentally, I got the Basia "Brave New Day" on Laserdisc (eBay purchase) yesterday. Had only seen one Basia video, and that was in 1990, so it was a nice treat. No Laserdisc rot and picture quality was quite good. :thmbsp: Kinda wish it was longet than 38 minutes, though. Almost looks like it was produced as a one hour TV special. My wife, who for some reason, never took to listening to Basia, watched the LD and now has decided she was wrong to dismiss her. Go figure.

Regards,
Joe

I picked this CD up just a week or so ago, only listened to it once so far.

Listening to it again now, will add more later.

Thanks for the heads up Luther.....

Spinning it now....and its smooth with just enough Up-Temponess ( for lack of a better term) to keep you dancing in your chair!...I will defenatly add it to my musicmatch library......

:thmbsp: :thmbsp: Two thumbs up!....

I was living in England around 85,and I was at a function,and heard Matt Bianco's single Half a Minute,and loved it so much I had to ask the DJ who it was.I cant wait to check out the new record.
Jimmy

Add me to the long fan list of MATT BIANCO - particularly their debut album WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON which we still play regularly.
This new album MATT'S MOOD is their other great album IMHO - and perhaps their best ever.
Needless to say, MATT'S MOOD is in heavy rotation around our way.
Like their debut album, MB have got the recipe right with this album and I'm enjoying the way they (again) share lead vocal duties.
Simply a superb album with stunning audiophile sonics to match.
For anyone who enjoyed WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON, don't hesitate.
(If only they would issue a killer VINYL LP version...)

Have a listen to the opening track...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom