Maybe a Thorens 124??

Jota2

I have been mulling around the idea of giving a Thorens 124 a try and I have a few questions of all the owners here. They are not hard to find but vary wildly in price. Should I look for an original un-restored or fully restored example?
I am fairly mechanical and have a lathe and milling machine. How hard is it to restore a 124? Are they arm/cart sensitive?
looking at the construction and design I am wondering how can they be much better than a high quality DD? It may sound like I have a bias but don't and I realize the question of an idler vs DD is one that gets asked a lot.

I currently have a couple of KD-500s one with a Black Widow/ADC ZLM cart and another with an audiocraft AC30/with a ADC ZLM as well. The 500 has served me well over the years.

Thanks...

I've owned over half a dozen TD 124s since the 80s and kept 3. They are very refined sounding turntables. If I am forced to split hairs, I would say my Garrard 301 edges it slightly.

For someone who is quite handy like you, I'm sure you can rehab/restore one with all the information available. This website has great info - http://www.theanalogdept.com/

I've used all kinds of tonearms on the TD124 - Audio Technica ATP12T, Sumiko MMT, Rega R200, RB 250/300, Grace G707, Gray oil damped clones, SME3009/3012, I don't find it arm sensitive, I'd even dare say it is a very stable platform to "listen" to the sound of tone arms.

You mentioned the KD500, a friend loaned me one and I'm looking forward to hearing it since I've only started listening to direct drives lately. I shifted from 3 point/belt drive in the 80s to idler and bypassed direct drive.

Hope this helps!

Happy listening/tinkering!

JE

I had never met a machinist who isn't mechanically inclined enough to handle a TD-124, so I would look for an original one if I were you. But there are constraints. I'd verify the motor spins (no burnt coils) when powered, the aluminum rider platter is not warped, and that the main bearing is intact. Everything else is either obtainable and relatively affordable (not cheap though) or you'd be able to make it on your own. I'd even risk buying a 'for parts - or not working unit' under the above constraints. This can save you a lot of money. Most "fully restored" TD-124 from unknown sellers were likely just cleaned up and lubed and maybe have a new belt. It's a very loose definition. Despite it's reputation, the TD-124 is not hard to strip bare, maintain, repaint and reassemble. It is just the factory precision tolerances on it's specs that are admirable. There is a lot of info on the www and many knowledgeable AKer's who'll be glad to answer any question. I have also noticed, the ones from Europe (Germany, Switzerland, France) end at considerably lower prices in auctions. It can even be sufficient to cover the shipping costs with a margin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I will keep my eyes open for a project . Figure I can hande the rebuild. Should be fun.

I am fairly mechanical and have a lathe and milling machine. How hard is it to restore a 124?

Well...
I warn you it is not hard to fall in love with the engineering of the machine. If you are mechanically inclined, and have a real respect for how machines are designed and executed then be careful... the TD-124 is amazing. Much more thoughtful than the Garrard 301/401. As far as the DD comparison, well first consider the 40 year gap... and then consider the manufacturing techniques and philosophies that were employed during each era.
I appreciate both eras, but I put the TD-124 on a pedestal ... and if you are truly interested, then first read this book :

http://www.theanalogdept.com/swiss_precision.htm

upload_2018-1-19_20-40-45.png

The TD 124 is a fine table, it takes a lot of money in a modern table to best it. There are enough refurbishment parts out there to bring an old one into proper operating order. However, if one is missing parts, they can be expensive to buy replacements for, as the donor units are stripped and offered for top dollar on place like Ebay. Heck that aluminum upper platter, which is not much different than a stove burner cover, costs over $300 for a straight one...when you can find it. Finding the steel band for the speed selector is darn near impossible. A replacement motor is not cheap. And so on.

But to refurbish one is not bad if all the parts are there. And you get a mighty fine table that holds its value.

Regards
Mister Pig

I rebuilt my motor to and then some. :rflmao:
Ugh.... Yea I have seen some of your "then some" work posted up here.
:trebon:

One more question how much of an issue is the "rumble" I hear talked about? Is it just a symptom of a poorly maintained TT? my experience is with DD and belt drive before I went down the rabbit hole I had been looking for a SP-10 for a good price.
this could get interesting and maybe a bit spendy. I did tell my wife it would look great with her new Mid-century remodel and redecorate, she said "do It" :bowdown:

How well does the 124 work with a low mass High compliant Cart?

Last edited:
Well...
I warn you it is not hard to fall in love with the engineering of the machine. If you are mechanically inclined, and have a real respect for how machines are designed and executed then be careful... the TD-124 is amazing. Much more thoughtful than the Garrard 301/401. As far as the DD comparison, well first consider the 40 year gap... and then consider the manufacturing techniques and philosophies that were employed during each era.
I appreciate both eras, but I put the TD-124 on a pedestal ... and if you are truly interested, then first read this book :

http://www.theanalogdept.com/swiss_precision.htm

View attachment 1093176
Thanks I will do that

Jota2 said:
One more question how much of an issue is the "rumble" I hear talked about? Is it just a symptom of a poorly maintained TT? my experience is with DD and belt drive before I went down the rabbit hole I had been looking for a SP-10 for a good price.
this could get interesting and maybe a bit spendy. I did tell my wife it would look great with her new Mid-century remodel and redecorate, she said "do It" :bowdown:

If properly restored/maintained, I was never troubled by rumble on any of my TD124s, both Mk I and II.

Jota2 said:

Use a low mass tonearm to match a high compliance cartridge.

I used a 124 with a SME IIIs and Shure V15 mrx--no problem at all on that score. I did replace mine with a SP10 MkII (fortunately I scored both before their "revival" in audiophile estimation.) The Thorens is a stunning piece of work, but mine took forever to stabilize its speed and I was bothered by the rumble. The Technics is a plug and play marvel–a professional grade work horse. Now that there is a cottage industry in maintaining and upgrading the 124's, I plan to get it worked on and re-evaluate.

I used a 124 with a SME IIIs and Shure V15 mrx--no problem at all on that score. I did replace mine with a SP10 MkII (fortunately I scored both before their "revival" in audiophile estimation.) The Thorens is a stunning piece of work, but mine took forever to stabilize its speed and I was bothered by the rumble. The Technics is a plug and play marvel–a professional grade work horse. Now that there is a cottage industry in maintaining and upgrading the 124's, I plan to get it worked on and re-evaluate.

I've had a couple of TD124s that took time to get up to speed in spite of good idlers/belts and serviced main bearings. The solution was strip/lube the motor. Be careful with the tiny ball bearing at the end of the motor shaft. Rumble might be caused by motor mounts. I think http://www.theanalogdept.com/ info/pics on all these.

I've had a TD-124 Mk II since 1993 or 1994. Unless you're a person who can never be satisfied, I'd say you may have just bought the last record player you will ever need.

Just take it slow and research everything about fixing it up. MG Chemicals Rubber Renew is good for cleaning up the idler if it's in good shape.

I've had a TD-124 Mk II since 1993 or 1994. Unless you're a person who can never be satisfied, I'd say you may have just bought the last record player you will ever need.

Just take it slow and research everything about fixing it up. MG Chemicals Rubber Renew is good for cleaning up the idler if it's in good shape.
Thanks! I intend on this taking awhile to finish.

You're going to be impressed. I think Max is correct....this is probably the last table you'll buy.

What I think is the 124's real strength is the removable armboard. Armboards are inexpensive to make and if you want to try a different arm, it's a snap to swap out a premounted tonearm. It's like three screws and a little aligning.

Good luck. All of us at AK are here for you!
20171221_212636.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ! I plan on trying my Black Widow on it first, then see where I go from there. Likely will try some of the longer arms. Cool Photo, Where?

Back
Top Bottom