MC-2205 - I joined the club!

Should I stain the cabinet black and give it a glossy finish?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • no, keep it original, you heretic

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • i don't give a rat's ass what you do

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
I noticed on my pix posts that white balance influences colors significantly. When I posted the vid of my system, the white balance changed all over the place. Sometimes the meters were more green and sometimes more blue. Color temperature shifts. BTW, glad you are back up and running. I can feel your pain hoisting the beasts!
this is very true - i don't see too much variation in my day/night pix, but there's a salt lamp beside the 2205 that looks kinda dull orange when lit, to my eye....when i take a picture of it, it looks like the sun.....must be the negative ions it is purported to emit.

thanks for the comments guys, i'm very pleased with the results of this endeavour....i understand it should get even better as the new caps break-in.

this is very true - i don't see too much variation in my day/night pix, but there's a salt lamp beside the 2205 that looks kinda dull orange when lit, to my eye....when i take a picture of it, it looks like the sun.....must be the negative ions it is purported to emit.

thanks for the comments guys, i'm very pleased with the results of this endeavour....i understand it should get even better as the new caps break-in.
Now, let those Power Guard lamps flash Red a time or two to be sure they work . . . :rockon:

I do not see any speakers in your photos. What are you driving with that sleek amp?
OH! that's what i was missing! no wonder it's so quiet.

hehehe, i have a pair of Amphion Creons - they're 3-way floor standers. I like them a whole lot, if they have a weakness, they're kinda directional, so you can't really sit anywhere you want and disappear into the soundfield, on the plus side, they get down to 32Hz and have great detail

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/amphion/creon.shtml

Do you see what I've got connected to mine?
amazingly, both your speakers and mine are 87db/W sensitivity and 250W rated.

although i think mine probably peak out around 250, and yours, i would guess, closer to double that.

also, by coincidence, i've never listened to line array speaker or been to AZ.

amazingly, both your speakers and mine are 87db/W sensitivity and 250W rated.

although i think mine probably peak out around 250, and yours, i would guess, closer to double that.

also, by coincidence, i've never listened to line array speaker or been to AZ.
DaMacman searches out the smallest amps he can find and bridges them.

Last edited:
Nice set ups. Trading the MX-1000s for MC2205. I have a PC2602 i love. I found yamahas keep up real well if your driving only eight ohms 300 watt speakers. With a big line array stacked ends up short changed and wheezing at 4 ohm or pushing 1200 WPC 8 Ohm line array in the low bass end. The big McIntosh amps start to rule. Did you run those MX-1000s bridged? I always wantedto try MC2602 bridged but am glad I went the big McIntosh route. The current on tap can't be beat driving forty plus drivers each channel.

Nice set ups. Trading the MX-1000s for MC2205. I have a PC2602 i love. I found yamahas keep up real well if your driving only eight ohms 300 watt speakers. With a big line array stacked ends up short changed and wheezing at 4 ohm or pushing 1200 WPC 8 Ohm line array in the low bass end. The big McIntosh amps start to rule. Did you run those MX-1000s bridged? I always wantedto try MC2602 bridged but am glad I went the big McIntosh route. The current on tap can't be beat driving forty plus drivers each channel.
no, i was running one amp per speaker, one channel for the highs, one for the lows. essentially bi-amping them with the L and R channels of each amp. there was plenty of power to spare, but that's only 3 voice coils per side. i'm starting to think i'm in the minority of people who don't run their systems at ear-splitting levels.

It is definitely nice having big power on tap ...

Most of my listening now-a-days us at 10wpc or less.

no, i was running one amp per speaker, one channel for the highs, one for the lows. essentially bi-amping them with the L and R channels of each amp. there was plenty of power to spare, but that's only 3 voice coils per side. i'm starting to think i'm in the minority of people who don't run their systems at ear-splitting levels.

I don't enjoy pain and have managed to moderate volume. However even 50 watt peaks you can hear differences in how a amp behaves really dynamic music even more prounouced.

I don't enjoy pain and have managed to moderate volume. However even 50 watt peaks you can hear differences in how a amp behaves really dynamic music even more prounouced.
50 Watts is loud - i think my Yamaha's peaked at like 20 during enthusiastic listening. i haven't been staring at the "new" Mac's needles - but i've had them flick about halfway across i think.

Back
Top Bottom