1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

MC 452 or a pair MC2205 in Mono?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JosephH, May 11, 2018.

1. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

I LOVE the Union Oyster House! I rarely go to Bahston without stopping in for a cold pint and a bowl of Chowdah. I never, ever visit Boston without going to Rino's Italian Restaurant! The original Daily Catch is another favorite stop of mine.

quartersaw likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JosephH

Ok, so the deal fell through. The MC452 had weak output on the right channel. I was disappointed to say the least. So, my options are once again open. I do see the MC2600 is still available in Bartertown. The 2600 seems to have an almost mythical reputation. How would this compart with a MC452. my concern of course would be its greater age and the possibility of an expensive rebuild in its future. Is the older (MC2600, MC500) McIntosh superior in build quality? What about sonically? Of those two, I would lean towards the MC500. With all the new iron & glass scheduled to come out of Binghamton these days there should be some deals floating around on older gear in the coming months.
    On the positive side we had a great long weekend in Boston and Maine!!

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

The MC2600s mythical status is warranted (I own two), as is the MC500 - both great power amps. I just sold my MC500 and the new owner is ecstatic.

Only your ears can decide which pleases you more. Obviously, it’s going to be hard to audition an amp you simply cannot find locally. Seek out the threads I and others have composed on each for some insight.

4. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry to hear about your deal falling through but you made the right choice by walking away imo. My thoughts are if you're going to go for that much of an upgrade then go for the one that you really want rather than settling for a consolation amp. Patience is the key here.

5. JosephH

I am really sorry that I missed your MC500. I have read some of the threads on the MC2600 and MC500. Again, the age is my biggest concern. The MC452 addresses that.

6. JosephH

In my opinion there was no choice but to walk away. I had several lengthy phone conversations with the seller last week, yet when he found the defect he did not bother to call me and allowed me to make a 10 hour trip for nothing. He felt that an E-mail to another audio forum was sufficient notice and did not bother to pick up the phone even after he did not get a response from me. (The notification went to my spam folder) In my eyes, the seller lost all credibility (and almost some teeth) when he did not make a genuine effort to notify me. He did cover most of my expenses out of pocket though.

7. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Super Member

I’d negotiated a significant cost reduction and got it fixed. That’s what I did on my MC1000s. Then dropped it at AC on way home. The MC452 is still in production and probably did not need that much.

8. JosephH

I thought about it, but the owner wanted to file a warranty claim and did not have much interest in negotiating a lower price.

9. damacman

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Mc sure hit the ball out of the park with the MC452 - I bet they've sold five times as many as the entire runs of MC2600 & M500 combined. Really, I think you'd have to look back to the MC2500 to see another BIG stereo Mc amp with similar sales volume.

If you're patient, you could find:

A pair of MC1000s
    An MC602
    A pair of MC501s

There is a pair of MC2600s on the bay at present, both look to be very well cared for. You may also want to message @quartersaw and ask him about buying an MC452 from AC as he just did so.

10. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Super Member

I think for value MC2600. Just not quad balanced or MC452 SNR. The MC1000 is hard to find but overlooked and can be had reasonably. Mid range is tubish sound.

11. JosephH

With Quartersaw's astute guidance & assistance, I worked out a great deal on a brand new MC452 from Audio Classics. I will pick it up next week as I cannot get off work tomorrow! Everything worked out well in the end. A new amp and 3 year warranty!

12. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

Good Man!! You knew what you wanted and made it happen!!
    You will not regret this!!

JosephH and quartersaw like this.
  13. JosephH

I doubt that I will have any regrets Kev. You and the other Mc experts have convinced me that the Mc452 will be a considerable upgrade from my beloved MC2205s. That, combined with the terrific deal from Audio Classics makes this a sure win!

quartersaw likes this.
  14. quartersaw

quartersaw Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Club! You will be walking on a cloud, once you hear the '452!

JosephH likes this.
  15. C_Nash

C_Nash Member

Congratulations on the 452! I've been drooling over one of those since I first heard it a few years back at my dealer's showroom....amazing. Crank the tunes!!!!

16. JosephH

I just heard back from Audio Classics, and they have set up a tour of the McIntosh factory for me and the Warden before we take delivery of the Mc452. It keeps getting better!!:jump:

DC likes this.

17. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Woot! (And "warden" - haha)

18. damacman

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I've never been - it's on my bucket list.

19. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

Excellent, I trust you'll share the exciting moment with us all....:thumbsup: