Mc 7150

JustClay

Maybe Ron or Terry can help with this. I have an MC 7150 with a rated minimum of 150 watts per chanel. It was 6 months when I got it from the local Mc dealer that I have known for over 50 years. My question is about the Power Guard. No matter what material I run through it, be it classical with sudden bursts of percussion inst., a gun shot or a sole kick drum with silence between kicks, it will never allow the meters to go past 150 watts. I put the meters on hold to make sure it wasn't a flick over 150 that I didn't see. Not even one watt over. I went to nearly all the Mac Clinics when they came to town and I observed that every Mac amp tested out at 50% over it's rated out put. If rated at 100 watts, it tested at 150 before clipping. When the MC 2300 came out I stood there with my jaw dropping when it tested at 450 per chanel before clipping. I took my Dad's 5100 in. It's rated at 45 per chanel, but tested at 67.5 per chanel, which is exactly 50% more than it's rating. From watching this for years I decided that all Mac amps are designed to produce 50% more than rated. I have seen comments here of the 501's putting out over 700 watts before Power Guard kicked in as well as all the newer amps doing the same thing. Since the rating on my 7150 is supposed to be the minimum, why is it the maximum instead? I have a dedicated breaker with 10 gaugh wire to it and my house line measures 120. My dealer says he has no idea, but he hired me as a 15 year old kid, the Mac dealer then, and that was over 50 years ago. So he's well into his 70's now and his memory isn't much better than mine. The 50% extra always gave you head room even if you had amps cranked up to nearly the rated output. I can see no advantage to the extra power if Power Guard won't let it happen. My owners manual shows testing at about 225 per chanel or more, so did they turn off the P.G. to get that? By the way, 225 would be that 50% more I always saw at the Clinics. I hope someone knows if there is a problem with mine. It sounds great otherwise.

Clay

Clay,

Interesting! I have a Mc7150 myself but have speaker that are 99-100 dB SPL for 1W. I have never driven the meters beyond about 5W! I suspect there may be a problem in yours becasue the power guard senses distortion, I think, not power level. If something is causing distortion to just up at a lower power level it would shut down the level to compensate limiting the power.

That's my guess anyhow.

Al k.

Back
Top Bottom