MC240 Impedance speaker outlets

With 90db speakers, two Mc240 should do the job easily.
But with my 85db magnepan speakers, even two MC240 will barely do the job.
Also, that's a lot of additional heat generated by the two tubes amps, especially in the summer. Plus the heat from my Pioneer plasma TV, that'd be almost unbearable on days with extreme heat.
I think I'll fetch myself a Peachtree Nova 300 instead.

The MC 3500 and its cousin MI-350 were the ultimate tube amps amps and in some respects may still be. They had lower distortion parameters than the SS amps of the same period and guaranteed 1/3 the distortion of the 240, 275, 225 and other early Mac tube amps. . Up grades can gain you almost 10 db signal to noise and lower distortion even more. But at close to $14,000.00 each you really have to be serious about tubes to make that kind of commitment. You would probably be happier with a MC 352 with its quad circuitry.

I upgraded from one 240 to two one time and three db can only be detected by very experienced listeners. I would be looking for two 275's instead. A 240 in mono in good shape will put out 110 watts at clipping. at 275 close to 190 watts. So from 55 watts a channel for one 240 to 190 watts for two 275's is close 5 db which can be easily heard. Of course a 3500 puts out close to 450 + watts which is 9 db over a 240. per channel. But I don't think your speakers can handle that much. So I would stick with two 275's.

To answer your question about impedance mismatch early tube amps don't have the current reserve to allow switching taps, the distortion will always rise significantly and premature tube failures which happen to often for a 240 anyway will increase.

Thanks for all this info, clear and true.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money nor the space to buy neither of the tube amps you mentioned. I am sure they are really good but that's too much weight, space, money and care required. I'm kind of stuck now. The 240 and the Magnepan are a match made in heaven for sound quality but not for power and I can't get rid of neither one as I really like them both. A friend of mine has a MC252 for sale, he's asking for $4100 CAD $. I still think it's a lot of money. You have to be rich to own Mac amps. It's really addictive gear, sounds and looks.

Thanks for all this info, clear and true.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money nor the space to buy neither of the tube amps you mentioned. I am sure they are really good but that's too much weight, space, money and care required. I'm kind of stuck now. The 240 and the Magnepan are a match made in heaven for sound quality but not for power and I can't get rid of neither one as I really like them both. A friend of mine has a MC252 for sale, he's asking for $4100 CAD $. I still think it's a lot of money. You have to be rich to own Mac amps. It's really addictive gear, sounds and looks.

Thankfully there's plenty of nice McIntosh around for almost any budget.

I reiterate my earlier suggestions of MC2205/2200 and MC2255/MC2250 or possibly MC7270/7300 to bring out the best of your speakers, any of which should be available for significantly less than an MC252. Aside of increased dynamic range and more robust operating parameters, any of these models have the added advantage of PG which will eliminate any worry of speaker damage should you ever decide to crank it up a bit.

A few weeks ago, I've tried the MA8000 (300 watts/ch) and, although it was very nice and powerful, I did not particularly like the sound of it. It was a bit ordinary and sterile. When I put back the MC240 right after, my friend said "now you ahve a sound". Music was back with an emotion that the Ma8000 did not provide. So I'm kinda scared of buying amps blindly, without being able to try it at home for a few days. Maybe my speakers are picky, maybe I am.

Thanks for the models that yo suggested, I'll keep my eyes opened for a good used one on Kijiji and Canuck audio mart.

A few weeks ago, I've tried the MA8000 (300 watts/ch) and, although it was very nice and powerful, I did not particularly like the sound of it. It was a bit ordinary and sterile. When I put back the MC240 right after, my friend said "now you ahve a sound". Music was back with an emotion that the Ma8000 did not provide. So I'm kinda scared of buying amps blindly, without being able to try it at home for a few days. Maybe my speakers are picky, maybe I am.

Thanks for the models that yo suggested, I'll keep my eyes opened for a good used one on Kijiji and Canuck audio mart.
I moved from single and then multiple MC240s to single and then multiple MC2300s and never looked back. I still have a pair of MC2300s that I use daily in my office system.

MC2200 is the electronic equivalent of the MC2205 so any information on the latter would apply equally.

There's plenty of MC2205 related material throughout AK and the model is highly regarded. Less info on the MC2200 simply due to being less common.

Highly regarded? Good to know, thanks. It seems that the models without the VU meters are not very much sought after.

I wonder if the original capacitors of a MC2200 are still good today. I heard that they use to last longer than newer ones.

Back
Top Bottom