Mc402 Vs. Mc452

quartersaw

I'm thinking about an upgrade, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with both of these amps?
I'd love to buy a shiny, brand new Mc452, but I might settle for a used Mc402 that I've got my eye on. A used Mc452 would be OK too, but I never see them out there....

Either is a fine choice!
Looks like they are both quad balanced amps, with 124db (Balanced) S/N ratio.
..Wondering if there is any real sonic difference?
From what I've gathered here, (from Kev, mostly) is that the '452 is a cut above the '352.
-Not sure if the '352 is also a quad balanced amp(?)

Looks like they are both quad balanced amps, with 124db (Balanced) S/N ratio.
..Wondering if there is any real sonic difference?
From what I've gathered here, (from Kev, mostly) is that the '452 is a cut above the '352.
-Not sure if the '352 is also a quad balanced amp(?)
There be an MC2600 in bartertown ...

Someone on the 'bay has a 402, but for entirely too much money. I made a few offers that were shot down. Half the fun is in the search..... :)

I'd love to buy a shiny, brand new Mc452, but I might settle for a used Mc402 that I've got my eye on. A used Mc452 would be OK too, but I never see them out there....

There are two mc452 for sale in audiogon, one in CA listed for $6200 and the other one in Chicago, listed for $6500.... both are open to offers....

No relation there... just saying!

There are two mc452 for sale in audiogon, one in CA listed for $6200 and the other one in Chicago, listed for $6500.... both are open to offers....

Thanks. Appreciate it! It's unfortunately a bit above my ceiling. I can likely get one with a few minor scuffs in the finish for about the same at Audio Classics.
I've seen Mc452's on the 'bay for around $5K, which is more my speed at this point in time.
I might have to sell a few things off to get there, but we'll see...

Last edited:
A 402 is a 352 with more SS devices. A 452 has the newer thermal track transistors that are to provide better performance and more consistent performance no matter the temp of the amp. The 452 is also suppose to be less congested in the higher frequencies. Some of the later models have less current capability than the previous models. Thats why Mac is promoting the new 611 so strongly over the 601.

You can not bridge the MC452 at all
Specifications

Power Output Minimum sine wave continuous average power output per channel, with both channels operating is:
450 watts into 2 ohm load
450 watts into 4 ohm load
450 watts into 8 ohm load

Output Load Impedance 2, 4 or 8 ohms

But you can with the MC402 as long as your speakers are 6-4 ohms and lower as there is no 16ohm taps

Specifications
Power Output Stereo
Minimum sine wave continuous average power output per
channel, all channels operating is:
400 watts into 2 ohm load
400 watts into 4 ohm load
400 watts into 8 ohm load

Power Output Mono Parallel
Minimum sine wave continuous average power output is:
800 watts into 1 ohm load
800 watts into 2 ohm load
800 watts into 4 ohm load

Well, I registered at the Audiogon site, and made an offer for one of those Mc452's. The cheaper one is 'pickup only', and the offer I made for the other one is in line with my budget, so it may get shot down. we'll see, but thanks for the heads up!

You can not bridge the MC452 at all
Specifications

Power Output Minimum sine wave continuous average power output per channel, with both channels operating is:
450 watts into 2 ohm load
450 watts into 4 ohm load
450 watts into 8 ohm load

Output Load Impedance 2, 4 or 8 ohms

But you can with the MC402 as long as your speakers are 6-4 ohms and lower as there is no 16ohm taps

Specifications
Power Output Stereo
Minimum sine wave continuous average power output per
channel, all channels operating is:
400 watts into 2 ohm load
400 watts into 4 ohm load
400 watts into 8 ohm load

Power Output Mono Parallel
Minimum sine wave continuous average power output is:
800 watts into 1 ohm load
800 watts into 2 ohm load
800 watts into 4 ohm load
Interesting, and food for thought!

You guys are hilarious!!
I am the first in a long line of "power junkies" but 450 watts per channel + the 30% all Mc's I have measured seem to have, is plenty of power for anyone. Who cares if you cant bridge/mono parallel the 452, if you want to do that, go and buy two 601's....
Twiii is right about the sound, he got it spot on, I will add, the voice of the MC452 is completely different to any Mc previously manufactured, it seems a lot changed when they brought that line out (452, 601 etc etc).

If the 402 is a 352 with more output devices (and probably higher rail voltages at a guess), then get a 452, it will be "a cut above" the 402, no offense to 402 owners.
Put it this way, once I bought the 452, I stopped "chasing the dragon". I am so completely happy and have no desire to chase another amplifier. (well a pair of 601's would be nice for the subs lol)

You guys are hilarious!!
I am the first in a long line of "power junkies" but 450 watts per channel + the 30% all Mc's I have measured seem to have, is plenty of power for anyone.

Your falling behind with you dinky power there Kev:rolleyes:

Time to step up your game a bit....:rflmao:

E5PI1lgSd6.jpg

Now doesn't this look like fun room?

M1801060152557_1.jpg J8MqXZtpUFf25zLtnNMx6AnP2t.jpg sLji4iQk3QVEuVPOIoVr.jpg WfjnvsrHyM5tm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom