McDonalds Menu from 1972

For the longest time, McDonald's was the only place in England that you could buy rootbeer. Their "small" sodas were actually small back then, with the cute stripey straw sticking up about half way out of the cup. The cheeseburgers also looked cute and delicious, not like the scene from Falling Down where he compares the burger he received to the one on the menu and says "look at this sorry looking thing". I used to go to school in Woolwich, the town in London where the first McDonald's opened.

Lee.

I don't like Dunkin Donuts , Their donuts are generally stale and
the coffee gives me a pounding headache.

Haven't been there since they served pink slime.

CBC Marketplace tested Subway's chicken and the Oven Roasted Chicken Patty tested at 53.6% chicken and the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Strip was only 42.8% real chicken. What strikes me about that McDonald's menu board is that was from a time when pennies were still important. My mother would come home and count her tips from the Ranchero Restaurant and the pennies were eagerly counted too.

News to me, sheesh, I wonder what they put in there? Modified starch, soy protein, ?? I assume the study took account of water, i.e. measured only dry weight percentages.

I like Subway but I don't eat either of these. Typically just the sliced turkey, ham, roast beef or Spicy Italian (salami and pepp, which we all know are made of...whatever). The slices meats LOOK like meat...

BK or Wendys I'll usually have a fried chicken fillet, which is a hunk of real meat, unless they've been able to fake real stringy meat fibers. :biggrin:

Ah, the good ol days. Now, if the fries don't kill you:

https://theheartysoul.com/mcdonalds-fries-cause-cancer/

bs

These kinds of lists bug me. Yes, a lot of the chemicals used in food and other products are toxic, but it's all about the DOSE and duration of exposure. The stuff they adjust the pH of your tap water with would destroy you if you drank it straight, but we don't.:dunno:

e coli on touch screens....yikes. Note to self, wash after ordering.

It was a controversial move at the time. Consensus was that the new fries were inferior, but for "health" reasons at the time beef tallow was considered deadly. So we indulged instead in low-fat bagels and cookies and pasta. Remember that non-fat fat that they were making chips with? Olestra? "Snack-Wells" cookies? I guess science isn't ever settled.

Yeah and the Snackwells and other low-fat stuff was loaded with sugar so you really weren't doing any better...

Beef tallow isn't deadly, but a high fat diet high in cholesterol and sat fats can be. But I think we are probably in agreement on that. And besides you really can't make a healthy fry no matter what you fry it in.

As for Burger King menus of yore...Bring back the Whaler! :D

IMG_7198-1200x1200.JPG

What was the Whaler? A fish sandwich or just a burger so big it was bigger than the Whopper and would draw in the whales? :p

Oh, I see it's a fish sammich. :thumbsup: I like em OK it's just that everyone puts mayo on them. Who wants mayo on already greasy fried food? Ick. If I remember I have them replace the mayo with mustard and add pickles to the lettuce and tomato. Darn it, I'm hungry.

Big Mac's today aren't near the size of the earlier ones.....had to get 2 of em......Double Cheeseburgers are small as well.......

WOW I forgot it was so cheap! I ate there all the time, didn't like BK. Sometime right around then they started the double meat, double cheese burger. I know another thing different about Micky D's back then was that there wasn't one on every corner, the town I lived in then was pretty good sized and it had 2.

Everything I buy at McDonald's today, was on the menu in 1972, apparently! I get myself a big mac as a treat every once in a while, can't say I'll ever get tired of them.

The size of the soda has become almost comical - McDonald's at least still sells a small. I went to Wendy's and the "medium" was enormous. I learned that what was medium is now small, and what was small no longer exists.

^^ Ain't that the truth! Try going into a convenience store to get a coffee that's less than 12 ounces. Time was a 'serving' was 5 oz. And the sodas vary from 12 or 16 at the small end up to the 44 Oz. Bladder Buster. :rolleyes:

Your loss.

I quit eating at McPukes back in the 90s. I do not miss it, so I can’t consider it a loss. There are far better locally owned burger places here.

^^ Ain't that the truth! Try going into a convenience store to get a coffee that's less than 12 ounces. Time was a 'serving' was 5 oz. And the sodas vary from 12 or 16 at the small end up to the 44 Oz. Bladder Buster. :rolleyes:

??? 5oz of coffee is never enough! :D

Back
Top Bottom