McIntosh 2125 in the house, and I need advice.

If I installed one 2125 or 2120 I mush have installed over 30 maybe 40 . They were just perfect amps for so many speakers we sold from Klipschorns down to up grading for ML-1 and 2 or XR-5 and 3. and everything in between. Professional Altec JBL and Emilar, were so much more with Mac amps with power Guard. You could almost double the power to their large drivers with out them self destructing. But they weren't the best for the Larger Bozaks that were bi-amped. The highs were great, the bass sloppy with Bozaks. They really smoothed out La Scalas and Klipschorns.

I guess I am so used to thinking about the amp with bezel that I feel uncomfortable seeing one without. I guess I can blame it on "tradition." If I were going to upgrade my 2505 for my electrostatic headphones I would choose the 2125, a narrow 7150 doesn't have a speaker on off switch or a front panel headphone jack.

I am glad its working like new for you and hope you get many hours of enjoyment as the owners of 2125'/20's I installed did.

Last edited:
^^^^Hmmm how bout that; I unwittingly stumbled on the 2125-khorn combination shortly after I brought my khorns home this winter and it's still my preferred combo. The 2125 was also my amp of choice on my ML1C's.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I have Heresys and Cornwalls here to try it with, so we will see. I need to find time to play with it more, and someone half my age to move it around and down the stairs. Its HEAVY! And my back hurts from just getting it out of my truck. :yikes:

I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I have Heresys and Cornwalls here to try it with, so we will see. I need to find time to play with it more, and someone half my age to move it around and down the stairs. Its HEAVY! And my back hurts from just getting it out of my truck. :yikes:
In the big scheme of things, the MC2125 is a lightweight in the Mc family! Nice work - always liked this model.

^^^^^^Indeed; my back is still sore from lugging it's bigger brother the 2255 up and down 2 flights of stairs and across the backyard last week.

I bought my SX-1980 about 7 years ago, and it is heavier by 15 pounds, but back then, I had no trouble at all. But I haven't moved it in at least 5 years. Its hell getting older. But I cant stop buying this stuff! LOL

I guess compared to a 602, the largest Stereo Mac amp, a 2125 is a light weight. But though a 275 is lighter: ever try lifting one with the transformers away from you and not against your body? That weight centered away from your body can really be a challenge to lift. try rotating your 2125 180 degrees with the heat sinks in your gut. Again making for a real challenge. I use to heft 3500's and 2300's, but no more. my 207's and 206 are enough. Can you imagine a 207 with seven 302 autoformers. I would need a Genie Lift.

I've wondered how many injured back lawsuits Mac got hit with over the years? I bet they also have strict guidelines on proper lifting techniques as there doesn't seem to be anything light weight to ever come out of their factory

Weight distribution in McIntosh tube amplifiers is not something that was given much thought. Very easy for one to flip out of your hands if not careful. Transformers should always be towards your chest when handling one of these.

One more question. Is it hard to change the filter gels behind the meters? Are those lamp housings just taped in place?

Oddly the MA230 had the transformers across the middle . Maybe the only balanced (weight wise) Mac amp:idea:

The filter gels are a absolute pain to replace, you will most likely destroy the lamp case.

There are three of them when using standard fuse lamp type bulbs.

The last pair I did needed new light cases, LEDs were used, and with the help of my photographer neighbor(my color judgement is poor) found two different filters to get the color correct.

Is there a fix for the lamp case c dk? I'd like to update my 2125 to leds and new gel to at some point but not if it means destroying something that can't be replaced or fixed.

I have one NOS light case and have been occasionally looking for a local 3D scanner to create a 3D printer file. I believe Patrice is also looking into this in Paris.

My former neighbor, who sells online a 3D printer kit, suggested I draw it in CAD but my drawing skills are from the days of 2d, and other lead classes like 3h and 4h.

Back
Top Bottom