Mcintosh C-28 thoughts and recommendations.

jellyfish182

Hello all!

Just picked this up yesterday for a great price-all original with manual and paperwork, great cosmetic condition and looked at by a tech at a trusted location for sales and service. It is in working condition, just a few scratchy pots. From what I've read, people either knock this pre or praise it and will never part with it.

I bought this as an upgrade from my Harman Kardon HK930-which I absolutely love-that I was using as a preamp. I am pairing it with a Mac MC2505 that I use strictly for my stereo vinyl setup. Using an outboard tube preamp.

What are your impressions of this unit? It definitely has more bass and mid range presence, but the highs seem rather rolled off and it doesn't have the sparkle and definition that my HK does. This was pretty surprising as I have never done work on the HK either.

I know the age of both units are in question, and I am willing to get the work done on the Mcintosh. Will getting a recap/upgrading older parts yield significant results and bring back the high end and clean up the midrange a bit? The only time I have ever upgraded parts was to bring a non-working unit back to life, so I don't have any experience in upgrading components, so I don't know what to expect.

I also have a C-24 that needs work that this money could also go to. Strange how the forgotten C-24 has doubled in resale price in the last year...maybe it's a diamond in the rough, or just people going mac-crazy? Thanks for any input you guys have. I look forward to learning some more!

My only issue with my C28 is the loudness setting switch. When engaged on "loud" it causes the the sound to be really muddy. Mines original too, could just be I need a recap, but I found the MX110 to be several levels above and am sticking to that.

Good point. I do prefer the loudness button on all my units. I should re-train my ear on other settings. Do you think the recap would clear up the "loudness" feature, or unlikely? I believe the store I bought this from had a mx110 in the walnut case, but was 5x the price! Most likely worth it, but not for me...yet!

A properly functioning unit that meets specs is a competent performer by any standards. The phono section is exceptional for a unit of this era. Unfortunately, the C28 is a maintenance heavy unit with like three dozen non sealed pots and switches that all require cleaning annually at minimum.

Given these units are 40 years old now, a full restoration is in order if you'd like to enjoy it to its fullest. On this particular preamp, this is far more involved than a recap.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the C24 prices lately. I thought it was just me.

I bought my C-28 as the 111 th one built. It was a great sounding unit with a very smooth phono input. It had some problems but Davie Obrien corrected all but one at a Mcintosh clinic. If you keep the trim controls on top and the other front controls clean you will have great performance from a C-28 that has been restored. Lets face it they are approaching 50 years of age and should be checked out by a professional. I would choose either Audio Classic or Terry Dewick. The only real issue is the volume control where tracking between the channels with the control set below 9 to 10 o'clock on the dial can be a concern. Mine is now owned by a friend who bought it from a friend of my boss. No complaints other than cleaning since the later 70's.

I bought my C-28 as the 111 th one built. It was a great sounding unit with a very smooth phono input. It had some problems but Davie Obrien corrected all but one at a Mcintosh clinic. If you keep the trim controls on top and the other front controls clean you will have great performance from a C-28 that has been restored. Lets face it they are approaching 50 years of age and should be checked out by a professional. I would choose either Audio Classic or Terry Dewick. The only real issue is the volume control where tracking between the channels with the control set below 9 to 10 o'clock on the dial can be a concern. Mine is now owned by a friend who bought it from a friend of my boss. No complaints other than cleaning since the later 70's.

I agree with what Twiiii said.
What will this be used for? Your main gear setup or a second system? Lets face it the MC2505 with a C28 is a classic match!
I own and love a MC2505 have heard an old stock C-28 with it in my home. Found this combo not bad but lacking. My thoughts are a total rebuild would provide a nice sounding preamp. Cost..... The C-28 rebuilt would be expensive it would never be world class by any means but nice. The phono section is good especially for a MM cart.
I seriously thought to get a C-28 for my MC2505 but instead got a MX-110z. I'm going to sell the MX-110z, my wife can't figure out how to use it! Honestly it sounds good but too complicated and fragile.
Soooooo..... I'm seriously thinking of getting a rebuilt C-28! Terry, Audio Classics or Mike Samra are all experts to repair. I'll most likely have Mike do one for me.

Designed almost fifty years ago, it is no longer representative of either "New Gear" or "Performance".

Compare it to a C2500 or a C1000 for points of reference.

I covet the re-issued C22 and MC275. A reviewer who's ears I trust (Paul Seydor) loved them. But they are $6K each...

Back
Top Bottom