McIntosh - Hints and Kinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anybody be able to set me straight on exactly what resistors should be used as replacements in an MC240, should one wish to replace them all while retaining the tone of the amp?
I kind of need a parts list if anybody has this handy...
Cap purchase has been taken care of via Jim McShane and I shall be using partsconnexionn as the vendor...
Thanx in advance!

Do you have the service manual? Parts list will give you specifics. Most will be carbon-comp. Any that are not will be listed with particulars.

I do have the service manual!
Ok does it state exactly what the differences are in resistors for me to order the parts then?

Resistors

I use metal film or carbon film. Metal film are usually 2% tolerance.
Both types will last longer than the originals and are quieter. Quieter may mean a different sound??. These amps are so quiet maybe there is no audible difference.
Replace them all if you value the output tubes. I have two MC30s I just replaced all the resistors and all the caps on. All the caps were leaky and all the resistors were out of tolerance. Dan

That's what I intend to do...just bought all the parts (now including all resistors) from Jim McShane!
I will be in soldiering heaven/hell after the holidays!

That's what I intend to do...just bought all the parts (now including all resistors) from Jim McShane!
I will be in soldiering heaven/hell after the holidays!

Hey Paul,I'll be rebuilding my MC240.Does Jim sell a complete rebuild kit and how can I contact him?

He does!
Just google his name and his page will be the first thing that comes up.
He has both the resistor and cap kits. (He likes K40's)
Should be about $170 for all parts matched and labeled.
There are a lot of them!

He does!
Just google his name and his page will be the first thing that comes up.
He has both the resistor and cap kits. (He likes K40's)
Should be about $170 for all parts matched and labeled.
There are a lot of them!

Excellent:thmbsp:

MR74: better than MR78?

Comments/opinions?

For those not familiar with this particular tuner, it is close to a MR77 (which means better than MR78)

I have heard that the MR78 is the first of the Modafferi tuners, and was the best tuner produced by McIntosh when it was released, this would seem to contradict that.

Believe the MR77 was RM's first tuner design for McIntosh. Have read that RM has stated that the MR77 is better for sonics than is the MR78, which is better for reception. There are those who have posted on the FM Tuner yahoo group over the years that think a recapped and aligned (all McIntosh vintage tuners are old enough to need a recap and alignment to sound their best) MR74 is the best McIntosh tuner from a sonic stand-point.

MR73 front end update

After being frustrated with the low sensitivity on my MR73 I decided to tackle it head on. In the end I succeeded.

I replaced Q1 and Q2 with a 2N5486 JFETs.

I also pulled the two crystal filters and removed the plastic cover and then the metal cover under that and tuned the IF coils inside for a 7.8MHZ peak. A quick front end alignment and then the sensitivity exceeded spec. Sounds good too. One of the crystal filters had drifted off to about 7.0 Mhz.

What he did was to electrically break out the receiver into it's basic parts and provided connections on the back panel for each function. While it sounds easy, the devil is in the details.

That task isn't something that the average man-in-the-street could handle. It is one of things that if you have to ask how to do it, you should not attempt it..

Mc250 power transformer Hum

Just powered up a mc250 I got a few months ago and the power transformer hums and you can feel it when touched. The amp is quite when no music is playing. Sounds good but I'm worried about the hum. I checked the 2 multi caps and they seem up to spec but I did check the 2 9300uf with my hvac cap meter from work and it only registered around 500uf. The tester goes up to 10,000. I dont know if the tester is reading this big of cap correclty. Any ideas on my situtation. I'm use to working on my tube amps and this is my first solid state I'm working on

Thanks John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom